Friday, 12 October 2018

The waiting room.


We all sat, silently in the waiting room at our local surgery. The rain poured down outside. a tinkle of 'muzak' drifted over the air from the check in desk.
Otherwise, silence.

Until a very jolly gentleman came in, wet through, dripping all over the carpet, and bellowed 'Good morning everyone'!
Why did it only take that one person to set everyone chatting?
The weather, of course, was discussed. The wait for the nurse, the flu jabs, the puddles in the car park.
All of a sudden, we became a group, engaging with each other.

It doesn't take much, does it?

26 comments:

Lorrie said...

I often wish I could be that one person, but it's not in my makeup. I'm glad for those who are, though.

Visits With Mary said...

God sent a blessing!!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

It only takes that special 'one'!

Frugally challenged said...

What a lovely story! Such a small thing but it made me smile just to read it.

Mary said...

. . . . . send my Bob in, nowhere is quiet when he's around! He has the Irish
'gift of the gab' and sometimes I just want to stick a piece of duct tape over his mouth! He is lovely though, kind to old ladies, and makes babies giggle!

Hope things are better now dear - and that you feel back to good health. Hoping this was just a check up.

Hugs - Mary

elizabeth said...

oh what a lovely story!!! Thanks so much for that!!! I hope you are still doing better - do take care - and thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog also! God bless you and your Husband and help you in all things!

Gina said...

Such a sweet story! I hope you and your husband are feeling well. xo

Cheryl said...

Like Lorrie, I would love to be that person, but I am not. This is an encouragement though . . . to engage maybe in smaller or quieter ways, maybe even one on one, but to engage nonetheless. Thanks for sharing this story!

doodles n daydreams said...

You can have some interesting and amusing conversations if someone has the nerve to break the silence, but it doesn't happen often, does it?
Diana

ellen b. said...

It's always great to have something or someone break through like that!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Thank goodness for the 'ones' who are cheery and engaging! We are all needed, in this world!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Love when that happens... grateful for folks who know how to take a saddish or ordinary moment and turn it into music for us.

I've been going through my blog archives of late. I found this and I thought you would enjoy a moment from our past (2011):

https://beautiful.wordfromhome.com/2011/10/out-of-blue.html

Love to you,
Brenda xox



Carolien said...

No ... and what a lovely example of how to start this :)

have a good Sunday!
Love, Carolien

Jenny said...

So sweet. It's hard to take our minds off ourselves in a place like a hospital waiting room. Love this!

Elizabethd said...

How lovely to see that pretty French postcard!

Connie said...

Just a sweet gentleman with a friendly hello and a big smile :) I love it!

Debbie Harris said...

Pure joy! It doesn't take much to start a conversation and what a blessing to those who needed it.

Bless you ♡

Pom Pom said...

What a lovely story! It's food for thought. I can just picture the scene. God be with you, B.

Carolina G. Ticala said...

Gracias por la información! que tengas una feliz tarde!🍄🍄🍄

cocoya said...

Such a sweet story! I hope you and your husband are feeling well. xo


casino online

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

I am a person who starts conversations in all sorts of environments.
When my children were younger, they were embarrassed when I chatted to a stranger. Often they were with me at the garden centre and I would start chatting to an “old lady” looking at plants. One such stranger was buying dahlias and I passed comment that I was disappointed there were no pink bulbs left. She told me she had heaps and would get her gardener to lift some for me and leave them by the letterbox! She gave me her address with instructions to call the next day and sure enough there was a newspaper parcel full of dahlia bulbs!
I remember telling my children that many old people had no family living near them and I might be the only person to speak to them that day.
My son became a “Mr have-a-chat” but my daughter is quite reserved!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

The chemistry of a group is something very difficult to understand and sometimes one person can make it turn right... or wrong!

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

Kindness is in such short supply; thankfully, that gentleman brought a group of strangers together, if only for a short while. He was a blessing.
Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

and let me return to say...FABULOUS PHOTO of Mousehole Harbour in Cornwall...a place I would LOVE to live in for a week or three! That LIFTED my spirits, let me tell you! Thanks for the beauty!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Amazing how a person's perspective can change everything! Enjoyed this lovely story Barbara!

Anne Payne said...

I usually smile and say hello but I'm not sure it ever has that kind of impact! 😁

Threads through Revelation

  I've been to Truro Cahedral to visit a wonderful exhibition.  'Threads through Revelation' is the second of Jacqui Parkinson...