Monday, 12 August 2019

Tomatoes

Time for tomatoes again.
I didn't think it was going to be a very good year, but I am proved wrong. Tomatoes are growing thick and fast in the greenhouse.
From this....

 to this....

 To these!


The large Marmande variety are the first to ripen, and I have already put several boxes of tomato sauce in the freezer. It is such a good staple and we find that it usually lasts all Winter , depending on the crop. Simple to make , simmered with shallots, garlic if liked and a few Basil leaves. A shot of tomato puree, bubbling gently away till soft, and there you are.
The essence of Tomato will fill your kitchen.

13 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Green tomato Relish! Wow, that's quite a crop!

Elizabethd said...

Green tomatoes aren't a favourite, so i wait till they ripen!

elizabeth said...

oh how wonderful!!! that's such a blessing! and that tomato sauce sounds perfect! I am so glad that your crop turned out well!

Cheryl said...

There is nothing like a fresh, garden tomato!

Granny Marigold said...

Isn't it wonderful once the tomatoes start producing? I'm finding ways to use them every day now. Last night I had a toasted tomato sandwich with mayo.and a salad. Today I think I'll incorporate some in the soup that's simmering on the stove.
( I agree about green tomatoes; I don't care for them).

Anonymous said...

Barbara, your tomatoes are gorgeous! And your plant has so many. That is great! Your sauce simmering on the stove must fill your kitchen with such a lovely perfume.

ellen b. said...

How wonderful. They look healthy and flavorful!

Elderberry-Rob said...

marmande look delicious. I have been growing some tomatoes in tubs which are very slow to ripen and are a bit spongy and tasteless (moneyspinner), I have if anything over watered. Better luck next year for me!

Deanna Rabe said...

I love home grown tomatoes and they do make wonderful sauce!

Carolien said...

Good harvest indeed, enjoy!

Love, Carolien

Sara said...

Lovely! The tomatoes look very healthy. It's nice to know you will be able to enjoy them for many months after the vines are gone.

Lorrie said...

Garden tomatoes are so full of flavour. Your bowlful looks wonderful, and transforming them into tomato sauce means you'll enjoy a taste of summer in the depths of winter. Ours are just beginning to ripen, too.

Pom Pom said...

Yummy! I'm glad you have so many nice tomatoes. No spots!

Threads through Revelation

  I've been to Truro Cahedral to visit a wonderful exhibition.  'Threads through Revelation' is the second of Jacqui Parkinson...