Bedtime.
My mother's call...'Bedtime!' was never a problem for me. I couldnt wait to take my book and settle in to my fluffy blankets. Wearing a lovely flowy seersucker nightie made by mum, I felt like a princess! I was tucked up ,often with Elizabeth Goudge, safe and sound, in my own little world.
Even now, at the end of a long and busy day, I can feel that sense of relief as I head towards my bed (probably not in a seersucker nightie but always with a book).
Because it is such a necessary place of rest for me, I like to have beautiful linen and still have my French sheets from the Vosges mountains. They are heavy cotton and just go on and on. Every time I slip into them I feel calmed.
Travelling round France, as we sometimes did, we slept in beds in farmhouses, Bed and breakfasts, and in Chateaux.
The photo below is typical of some of the chateaux bedrooms...very grand!
In fact one of the best night's sleep was in a Farmhouse, where the rooms opened off a courtyard where goats and chickens roamed. The bedlinens were probably old 'metis' fabric kept lovingly in the farmer's wife's armoire. Breakfast was served in the farmer's kitchen, just a simple bowl of coffee , and bread.
I do like cushions, in USA known as pillows. I have kept some of my lovely antique white lace pillowcases, and then pile smaller cushions on top...so quite a lot to move before I can get into bed. It looks pretty during the daytime.
Sadly I am having to use stock photos as my camera died and Amazon have managed to lose the order for a new one, telling me it has been delivered to my neighbour next door.
It hasn't.
And they have now run out of the model I ordered.
I really do not like Amazon.



13 comments:
I like cushions too, it takes me an age to take them all off before I can get into bed but they are a wonderful sight during the day.
Love my bed too - more now than ever! I use real linen sheets - not antique but top quality from 'Rough Linen' company in California (owner Tricia is originally from Ireland), expensive but worth it, and made right there in the USA!!!
Instead of pillows I use one long bolster covered with a genuine thick heavy French linen 'sack' - natural with a red line through it and linen cord ties at the open end. Found it in an antiques shop my brother took me to in Carcassonne.
Sorry about your new/lost camera - hope they find you another soon. I find myself using my iPhone 11 Pro - with the fabulous camera - mostly these days. 99% of my blog photos are from the iPhone now which makes life easier.
Amazon seems swamped these days, the AMAZON Prime truck must turn in our cul-de-sac several times a day making deliveries to our street. We have their huge 2 day discount sale this month and I'm wondering how much of the merchandise will be 'lost'!
Glad you are better by sound of it - hope M is well too.
Take care Barbara - love XX
Hope your camera turns up. Being largely housebound, I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon. My bed is my most favourite place. I loved reading this post about beds.
Oh I love a good soft bed with clean sheets & lots of pillows. I like to make sure I have no wrinkles at all when I lay down for the night & I always have a book to read as well.
(I say pillows for my bed & cushions for my sofa or couch) I have a lot of cushions in my living room as well for laying down during the day or watching tv.
How nice that you still have and use your lovely sheets.
I hope you mange to sort out the camera problem with Amazon. It's frustrating not to have a working camera.
I appreciate good sheets too, I buy from The White Company during their sale every few years and they last for years - I iron them too - nothing better than fresh crisp sheets :} I should think your French sheets would be very sought after. Sorry about the camera, deliveries are often left at our door without a knock and there are some opportunists around so I'm not surprised it disappeared but glad you aren't responsible, but Amazon. Hope you find a suitable alternative. Betty
I love making my bed in the morning and giving it a final pat before I head downstairs and on with my day. I love knowing it's there waiting for me when the day is done. I do hope your camera issue is resolved soon.
I love my bed, and make it everyday. I recently updated some of my bedding. I do love a pretty bed! I’m sorry that you’ve had issues with Amazon. We’ve never had a problem with them, and have used them a lot this year. I know it’s frustrating to be with out your camera.
My bed always has pretty pillows (cushions) on it, and sometimes, like now, bears or dolls. I also enjoy using old pillowcases and ones my sister crocheted the edges. Quilts made by my Mother often are cover my bed.
How disappointing about your camera....
I am glad you're feeling better.
Blessings, Linda
I love the way you write about your beautiful bed and the cozy comfort it provides. I'm sorry you're having such difficulty replacing your camera. That is frustrating!
I am sorry to hear about your camera and Amazon woes. I wish I could help make it better. I so enjoyed your little essay about your bed and beautiful bedding - it sounds so cozy and comforting. Lovely!
What a sad thing that your camera order was messed up!
It is lovely to get into a cozy bed!
Post a Comment