Friday, 5 August 2022

A restorative walk. (with a lot of photos)

 Take a walk with me through our National Trust gardens. I took myself for a stroll  this afternoon , leaving a very lovely carer in charge.

At one end of the car park is the Water tower, dating from the 1860s when it was an actual water reservoir. Now it is a four storey holiday cottage, with one room on each floor, beautifully decorated.

Across the yard is the little shop which looks as though  it's built into the lovely old wall.


From the shop you can access their little garden within the walls, where plants are sold.


Then wander past the tiny scented garden where jasmine climbs the wall, lavender bushes buzz with bees, and every plant is a delight to the senses. Flowers grown at Trelissick were used as models for the Spode Copeland china made by one of the original owners of the estate.


The entry to the Gardens is through this lovely old stable barn, which at Christmas is decorated with so many Christmas trees. Can you hear the clop of horses' hooves on the cobbles ?



Where does this little door go?


The Long walk leads past some very old Rhododendrons which were planted many years ago. There is a majestic feeling about the trees here. They have seen so much history.

So many years ago I brought my mother here, to an evening performance of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', all taking place around that huge tree in the centre of the lawn. Can you imagine the fairies and Puck climbing in and out of the branches? It's a Japanese Red Cedar planted in 1898.

Rhododendrons en masse.
And Banana plants.


There is so much more than I have been able to show you today, but for a finish let's go the the courtyard where tea is served under a shady parasol.

19 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

I smiled throughout that post thinking about a delightful morning I spent there a few years ago with a lovely lady!

Angela said...

Such a beautiful walk - I hope the peace and beauty restored your soul. Thinking of you ❤️🙏❤️

Maribel said...

Hi Elisabeth!
What a lovely place, yes I can hear the horseshoes clop .
Have a lovely weekend /Marika

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful garden! I’m glad you had time out, Barbara!

Hélène said...

Bonjour Elisabeth,

Quel bel endroit à visiter pour se ressourcer, respirer une bouffée d'air frais, penser à autre chose. Ces vieilles pierres, cette jardinerie, tous ces grands arbres à admirer, oui cet endroit me plairait à coup sûr !

Bon anniversaire avec du retard.

Passez un bon weekend.

Terri said...

Such a pretty place! I'm glad you were able to get out and go for a walk. Happy Belated Birthday!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

How utterly lovely. So glad you had this opportunity to take this time for your own soul and mind. Thank you for letting us get a glimpse of what you enjoyed. xo

Granny Marigold said...

I'm sure it did you a world of good to get out and enjoy some lovely sights. The former water tower which has been transformed to a holiday cottage sounds delightful. And the tiny scented garden. So sweet.

Connie said...

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful garden. Thank you for allowing me to stroll through it with you.

ellen b. said...

Ahh, what a very lovely place to visit and walk. I can imagine that charming entry to the garden decorated for Christmas! Glad you could enjoy this restorative walk.

Cheryl said...

What a lovely walk, Barbara! Thanks for taking us along! Love the charming door!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Delightful, I would love to do that walk. Despite many rhododendron around here, I have never seen such huge ones I bet they are spectacular in flower. The little shop looked tempting, I would have to bring something home!

Anonymous said...

Catherine. It was a nice outing in a nice place. The garden looks nice and I am sure the afternoon tea was interesting!
( thank you for your visit on my blog and I think I forgot a Happy belated Birthday to you )

Ann said...

Happy belated birthday. You received many lovely cards. There is nothing more refreshing than walking through a lovely garden--especially in England. You are fortunate to have a carer, for here we would hire a costly private nurse to help out. Have a lovely week.

Carolien said...

Dear Barbara,

That was a wonderful walk, thank you for sharing! I will write to you soon, it has been hectic here.

Lots of love, Carolein

meandmysmallcorner said...

Those National Trust gardens look lovely. I hope you enjoyed your birthday and hold you and your husband in my prayers.

Pensive Pensioner said...

What a beautiful place. Thank you so much for sharing the photos Elizabeth. I would have loved to see A Midsummer Night's Dream there.
Belated happy birthday! Hope you had a lovely day x

Alex said...

So calming and soothing! A place where calm and classic beauty soothe the mind and heart. Oooh and don't the National Trust shops * smell* lovely? I think it's the lavender soaps and pot pourri packets- They more or less sell themselves ...and all the lovely packaging. ..

Pom Pom said...

Gorgeous! Thank you for taking us along! xo

Threads through Revelation

  I've been to Truro Cahedral to visit a wonderful exhibition.  'Threads through Revelation' is the second of Jacqui Parkinson...