Tuesday, 3 September 2024

Mugs

Thank you so much! I was so touched by your many messages of encouragement after the fall I had recently. I've been surprised just how long it took me to feel really well again, but apparently the effects of concussion, however mild, can linger on.


Mugs may be an odd things to write about, but why not? As a child I don't remember using mugs, always cups and saucers. Maybe they weren't as popular then?
I have some lovely mugs, almost all Bone china. Years ago I joined a 'mug/cup swap' and had some interesting exchanges. This one has lasted so many years and is my absolute favourite. It came from Denmark, and I use it every day for my coffee.

My daughter in law leaves her mug here and uses it when she comes for tea. It's got her favourite cats on!

Then there is a lovely Sanderson design, my blue and white colours,

All my mugs seem to have flowers.
This pair is the last of a Laura Ashley collection, very pale blue and white.

Here they are. There are others tucked away in a cupboard, but these are my favourites.

Do you prefer your tea/coffee in a mug or a cup?

21 comments:

Poppypatchwork said...

We use mugs here, growing up like you we always had a cup and saucer. I do like our mugs to match, so I have a few pairs of mugs.

Anonymous said...

I almost always use a mug, and like you have very definite favourites.
I do like to drink tea from a thinner mug and happy to drink my one coffee a day from a thicker mug which is a cheerful Robin picture, it belonged to my late Mum. Your mugs are very lovely.
Alison in Wales x

Donna said...

Love your cups!
For me, Coffee in a cup...as well as hot chocolate!
hugs
Donna

16 blessings'mom said...

We grew up with the Corning Corelle dishes, white with the gold butterflies, I remember my parents drinking coffee from those. Tea wasn't really a thing, we had it occasionally, but in a regular mug. Now my morning coffee goes in a nice sturdy mug, I like the ones with a wider base than rim. My youngest daughter has a tea cup and saucer collection, and uses them regularly for afternoon/evening tea.

Frugally challenged said...

We used mugs but always called them beakers. But they were "casual", we never had them at table. It was just cups and saucers there. We kept the beakers for coffee in the garden.

Latane Barton said...

I love mugs for hot chocolate but like my tea in a cup. Nice post

Frugally challenged said...

And all mine are in my Haddon Hall china these days!

R's Rue said...

I love all your mugs. They’re very pretty and tell a story.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a lovely chat about mugs! I admit to loving bone china tea cups and saucers, but these days I most often use pretty mugs for both tea and coffee. My tea cups (mostly all floral) have been collected through the years, my very first ones coming out of Mom's china cabinet, ones she received as a bride, now passed along. As for the mugs, they come and go with various themes and colours that compel me to bring them home.

Thanks, Barbara, for letting us muse a bit about our favourite cups.

KirstenM said...

I love Haddon Hall China. I used to go and window shop China and glass when I needed cheering up. I like an old fashioned breakfast cup for tea, and a small espresso cup for coffee. I have one very special mug that belonged to my grandmother.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Great news you are feeling better
Your cups and mug are beautiful.

Mugs are my most used. I do have special cups though, used mostly in winter to cheer me up.
Every year I search for a winter mug, the mug hunt. I notice that my collection is going over to the soup mugs size. They hold more marshmallows in hot chocolate.

ellen b. said...

Coffee in a mug and tea in a cup is my preference. My favorite coffee mug is one I bought at TK Maxx in Windsor, Heron Cross Pottery. I like your collection. It is also good to read that you are feeling better. Happy September to you.

elizabeth said...

I have a set of everyday teacups and saucers but I have some really cute mugs that I love as well!

Pom Pom said...

I love all of your mugs. I have a weakness for mugs!

Cheryl said...

So glad you are feeling better, Barbara! It was a treat to see some of your mugs! I love mugs too, and have to cull my collection now and then because it tends to get out of hand. Your Danish mug is lovely! I'll bet morning coffee tastes especially good as it is sipped from that pretty mug!

Granny Marigold said...

I prefer a mug for coffee or tea mainly because a tea cup doesn't hold much. Your mugs are all beautiful! I'm very fond of flowers on mine too.
It's good to know you're feeling much better now.

Elderberry-Rob said...

You have some very pretty mugs, mine are plain blue or green for everyday and Denby Halo for special days, you can't get big enough brew in a tea-cup!

Jackie said...

What lovely mugs. I drink both coffee and tea out of a mug. Though sometimes I pull out a lovely tea cup that was a gift from a friend in the UK, make a pot of tea and enjoy a bit of peace.

God bless.

Chris said...

Pleased to read you're feeling better after your fall, it took me a couple of weeks before I felt ok after mine, old age doesn't come alone! We have mugs galore! But like most females I like a china one for tea and a different one for coffee and although we have plenty of mugs, if I see a particularly nice one when shopping I have to buy it!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

We use mugs in our house but I think we only had cups and saucers when I was a child. I am the coffee drinker while the rest of the family are tea drinkers.
You have some very pretty mugs.

Catherine said...

I also have a lot of mugs I drink my morning coffee in a Bol then in a cup or mug. Glad to see you are better.

Threads through Revelation

  I've been to Truro Cahedral to visit a wonderful exhibition.  'Threads through Revelation' is the second of Jacqui Parkinson...