Tuesday, 22 October 2024

Looking ahead

Now that the garden is Autumnal and bare, it's the time to think about Bulb planting. My box of bulbs from Sarah Raven has just arrived.


 There are bags of Tulips, Daffodils, Iris and Crocus. Foxtrot is the Tulip variety this year, a shorter stem but with gorgeous pink flowers. I'm planning a terra cotta pot of these, mixed with some white Narcissi and maybe just a few blue tiny Iris.


I've also bought some Indoor Hyacinths. I always use the same blue and white bowl for these, and must soon get it out of its cupboard. These are from last year.


It's a joyful thing to do. knowing that in not too many weeks time there will be green shoots appearing. Then Spring will be on the horizon!

18 comments:

KirstenM said...

That looks to be a lovely selection, and such a pretty colour for the tulips. Something to look forward to.

Mrs. White said...

It looks very beautiful!

Angela said...

So pretty

Latane Barton said...

What a joyous sight, seeing all those lovely spring blossoms. They are going to be gorgeous when winter is over.

Sandi said...

Love the PINK!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh, I can feel the joyful anticipation of this project, Barbara. What fun!

Aritha V. said...

What a great idea, planting bulbs. Pink is nice. I still need to do it. I bought some daffodil bulbs, and I really want to plant them a bit earlier so they’ll come up early in the spring. I also thought about buying a lot of amaryllis bulbs—about five, all in different colors for in the window sill. How about you, do you like amaryllises?

Connie said...

I love blubs planting because they are the first sighs for Spring. Although; I planted a couple hundred tulip blubs a few years ago, all along the front fence and around the house. The ones by the house are still there and bloom each year but the moles have eaten almost every one of them by the fence. This year I planted daffodils out there because I've heard that moles will either leave them alone or that they will die from eating them. I hope that I don't have 50 dead moles around my yard come spring, but I do hope I have some lovely daffodils :)

Jackie said...

Enjoy planting all those bulbs. I love hyacinths but can not for the life of me grown them.

God bless.

Granny Marigold said...

It is going to be a wonderful display come Spring. I went out today and sorted the bulbs I bought recently. Tomorrow my "helpers" are coming to plant them for me.

ellen b. said...

A nice variety of pretty blooms will be gracing your garden before you know it.

Cheryl said...

I am never smart enough to do what you're doing and plant ahead! Your efforts will be well rewarded come spring!

Lorrie said...

Bulb planting is a good reward after doing the fall garden clean up. I have my bulbs, but cannot plant quite yet because I haven't finished the cleanup! I love the colour of those tulips! And blue hyacinths are always so pretty.

Donna said...

Uggg...I need to get mine planted, as well...SO pretty!
hugs
Donna

Deanna Rabe said...

I haven't had any bulbs for years since my chickens dug them all up! But now we don't have chickens this makes me want to plant bulbs!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I love the name of the tulip variety you are growing. Happy bulb planting.

Sara said...

You will have many beautiful flowers when those bulbs send up their spears and blooms!

Barwitzki said...

...these tulips are a dream.
Beautiful photo.
A hug for you.

Threads through Revelation

  I've been to Truro Cahedral to visit a wonderful exhibition.  'Threads through Revelation' is the second of Jacqui Parkinson...