Tuesday, 22 December 2015

Christmas memories



This picture reminded me of childhood Christmases.
For days we would settle down to making Christmas decorations, paper chains to hang, star cut-outs for  the windows, tinsel shapes for the tree. Our table was full of little bits of greenery, wooden cotton reels, walnut shells....(with a toothpick mast and paper sail, they were hung on the tree as the three ships)
The cotton reels were painted red and branches of fir stuck in them to make mini Christmas trees.
The excitement grew when we were allowed to have sparkly shiny bits to stick on...this was before the days of aerosols.



Certain smells remain with me that immediately create my childhood Christmas.
The newly cut aromatic pine branches of the tree.
The scent of tangerines only available at that time of year.
The  glass of sherry drunk by the adults.
And the smells from the kitchen of sage and onion as Grandma made the turkey stuffing.

We had huge knitted stockings, I think they must have been from a fisherman, and they were hung near the fireplace on Christmas Eve.
In the morning their shapes had changed, and knobbly things were pushing their way out of the tops.

We spent very little on things, this being not long after the end of the war. Decorations were made. presents were made, food was cooked from scratch.
We played games together, there being no television.
We sang carols around the piano while my Aunty played. 

I think we were all the better for the simplicity.

(I read today that 297 people have booked tables at Claridges for a Christmas meal, costing £225 per person. 
There are no words.)

13 comments:

bj said...

Your E225 is about $250. in US dollars..O MY GOSH...like you...no words. So many sweet little children, hungry..it breaks my heart.
Yes, our Christmas time was so different when I was a child...I am almost 78 and our Christmas was very simple...we didn't even have stockings or sox to hang..bowls of fruit were under the tree for us.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is just too much. Enjoying the simple ways to celebrate gives more meaning to the reason for the occasion. Your memories are precious. Thank you Barbara for sharing them. Happy Christmas!!

Frugally challenged said...

Your daily Bible verse is possibly the best commentary on your post about those perfect remembered moments

“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.”

Merry Christmas. X X

Marigold Jam said...

How many hungry people could you feed for £225 I wonder? It weould give 9 people a place at Crisis for Christmas for sure. Your Christmas reminded me of my own as like you I am of a certain age and post war things were hard but I thank God every day that I had the childhood I did as it has made me so much more appreciative of what I have now! Tangerines some wrapped in tissue and some in silver paper, the smell of pine, home made decorations and so on - what fun!

Angela said...

I LOVE that verse! God's love and light is constant and faithful. His blessings far outweigh the delights of lunch at Claridges, and His gifts to us are free.

Tina said...

Loved this post so much. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, and every blessing in 2016. I thought I'd message you here as you don't seem to receive my emails. Love and best wishes, Tina xx

Terri said...

Love this post, Barbara. Such wonderful memories. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Frances said...

Elizabeth, it was a pleasure to read this post and to be reminded of some scenes from my own childhood. As I've gotten older, I do try to honor simple Christmas traditions, to add to those memories.

Happy Christmas to you and yours. xo

Cranberry Morning said...

I so enjoyed reading this post, with memories of your childhood. People today have a false sense of affluence, when in reality what they have is debt. May you have a blessed Christmas.

Cranberry Morning said...

I so enjoyed reading this post, with memories of your childhood. People today have a false sense of affluence, when in reality what they have is debt. May you have a blessed Christmas.

Lorrie said...

A lovely post, filled with memories of simpler times. Making things to decorate with and give to others adds to the joy of the season, I think. Merry Christmas to both of you.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Wishing you a very merry Christmas and good health for you and hubby in the New Year. I do so agree with Cranberry Mornings comment above. Betty

Granny Marigold said...

It's not too late for me to wish you and Tom a Happy New Year!!!

Threads through Revelation

  I've been to Truro Cahedral to visit a wonderful exhibition.  'Threads through Revelation' is the second of Jacqui Parkinson...