Friday, 11 May 2018

Wild flowers.




There's a little patch of my garden, under a hedge, that I find very lovely.
Here grow wild flowers, some might call them weeds. I can't cut them down.
In this tiny patch there are, Red Campion, Herb Robert, Scarlet Pimpernel, Speedwell, Forget-me-not, Wood Aven and daisies. A primrose or two peeps out as well.


Wild flowers are just as lovely as cultivated ones.
It surprises me how many people don't know the names of them. My mother and I walked the Welsh hills during the War years and I was taught, as a little girl, the names of so many flowers that are no longer around.

Beauty in unexpected places.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your wildflowers are charming! I love them. I hope you have an enjoyable afternoon.

Sylvia said...

I love wildflowers! My granddaughter and her dad planted some now we're waiting to see if they come up.

Carolien said...

True and they are so lovely ... I love a little vase with wildflowers on my table too :)

ellen b. said...

Beautiful and how sweet that you have this memory of your mother.

Pom Pom said...

I LOVE wildflowers and I have four large bags of seeds to spread. I may need to consult you to name them all! Happy spring!

Jenny said...

I love the wildflowers best. When they go to seed I collect & scatter the seeds in places I want them to grow.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love that you learned the names of the wildflowers on walks with your mother.

Elderberry-Rob said...

It is indeed, I prefer wildflowers to cultivated. I missed the bluebells this year as was away. Went up to Outwood only to find them dying off after the heatwave.

Cheryl said...

Aw, such precious memories of times spent with your mother! And, I agree, the flowers are so pretty. Dear friend, is there a way to follow your blog by email subscription? I feel so bad that you are so faithful to visit me, and I don't reciprocate nearly as often as I should. I can't seem to keep up with blogs very well, unless the posts are delivered to my inbox. I just thought I would ask. I love the new look of your blog...it is so pretty and comforting. Thank you for every time you leave such a kind comment on my blog. You are a blessing to me!

Lorrie said...

Wildflowers are so lovely. I admire them in the woods and meadows where we walk. Just now it's the native blue camassia that's charming me. I'm not familiar with some of your plants and will be looking them up. Having your own little patch of wildflowers is a lovely idea.

ann said...

Your garden is always so pretty with such variety and I know that you do the work by yourself. And I have to thank for always leaving a comment on the dollhouse site. It gets really lonely over there, but then dollhouse bloggers aren't as active as we are over here in our gardens. And I want you to know that I still have the little items that you sent me a time ago and I will include another one of the little lace pieces in my current project--a touch you in my little fantasy world--a hand-me-down from the English grandma. Have a pleasant week.

bristowmom said...

I have never even heard most of the names you used; how sad! Your memories with your mother are lovely.

Threads through Revelation

  I've been to Truro Cahedral to visit a wonderful exhibition.  'Threads through Revelation' is the second of Jacqui Parkinson...