Thursday, 10 November 2022

Autumn colours

 Autumn colours have suddenly appeared in Cornwall. We will never be as amazingly beautiful as parts of the USA in Fall, but I think the trees here are trying their best to compete.


This is Treverbyn Bridge, a scheduled monument not far from Bodmin. It's a 15th Century bridge on the medieval main route linking Bodmin and Liskeard.  It is written that in 1412 it was almost a complete wreck. However, the Bishop of Exeter granted an indulgence providing a pardon of 40 days penance from the sins of anyone who contributed to its repair.
Apparently it wasn't until the 18th Century that further repairs were necessary, so there must have been plenty of pardons given!
I chose the photo because of the leaf colours.
Even in my garden the Cherry tree leaves are in that in-between stage, some red, some dropping, looking rather lovely,but heralding a colder Winter season.

18 comments:

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

I think it’s beautiful.

Angela said...

What a lovely picture, and a great story. We have an ancient bridge at the end of our village which has just been repaired. But the workmen did it badly - and it cannot now be fixed till the spring because it's too cold for the traditional mortar. All very frustrating for the residents!

Terri said...

Such a beautiful picture. Autumn is my favorite season!

Mrs. White said...

The bridge looks beautiful with the leaves all around.

elizabeth said...

Oh those leaves are such a beautiful orange colour!! What a lovely bridge 😍

Lorrie said...

What a beautiful and golden carpet of leaves on the bridge.

Granny Marigold said...

What a lovely picture of the bridge and colourful leaves.

Cheryl said...

It's a beautiful bridge, made even more beautiful by its autumn shower of leaves!
{{Hugs}} and prayers . . .

Deanna Rabe said...

Such a beautiful photos. Autumn is amazing. Praying for you, Barbara.

Connie said...

What a lovely photograph and the history of the bridge is amazing, well at least to someone that lives in such a young country as ours. If something is 2 or 3 hundred years old here we think of it as very old, LOL.
You have been on my mind and in my prayers, I do hope that you are getting along well.

Carolien said...

Beautiful picture! I hope you are doing well.
Big hugs and love, Carolien

Anonymous said...

Lovely picture! I think they must be beech leaves to glow bright copper like that...love those old granite bridges. Very best wishes to you Barbara, I hope you have some beautiful, restoring winter walks :)

Linda Baker said...

I enjoyed reading the history of the bridge as well as the lovely picture.
Blessings, Linda

ellen b. said...

Indulgences have come up in many of my readings this past month especially in regard to Martin Luther. Such a manipulation on the part of man. This photo you shared calls out to me. I would love to be there in person enjoying that bridge and the history of it. You remain on my list for prayer dear lady.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I love the Autumn leaves, this is the most colourful time of year - I know most people would say Summer, but I do love Autumn colours so much - your picture is very pretty, I would have a picnic right there!

meandmysmallcorner said...

The rich colours of the leaves are beautiful. Thank you for sharing the history of the bridge too.

Hélène said...

Bonjour Elisabeth,
Quelle belle photo d'automne. Ce coin et ce pont sont charmants. La nature est belle en ce moment. La nature est toujours d'un grand réconfort lorsque l'on a de la peine ou des soucis. Je vous envoie mes plus amicales pensées.

Hélène

Anne Payne said...

I don't think any of our Autumn color here can compare to the photo you posted of that bridge!! And the rich history, nope. We don't have any like that here. Thank you for sharing your beautiful country with us! Much love and many prayers, my friend.

Threads through Revelation

  I've been to Truro Cahedral to visit a wonderful exhibition.  'Threads through Revelation' is the second of Jacqui Parkinson...