Wednesday, 15 July 2026

The blues

 

How can one plant have so many colours? This Hydrangea seems to be a mass of blues, purples and even a rogue pink bloom now and then. It's just outside my front door, and people passing by often comment on the colours.


When I was walking through Trelissick gardens recently I saw this Hydrangea  which was rather different. I'm not sure of the variety and the gardeners weren't around to ask.


Later in the Autumn the flowers on my bushes will turn deep red and look very beautiful. I always mean to dry the flowers but never quite get round to it.

Cornwall is a county that specialises in Hydrangeas, and many of the large estates have different varieties brought back many years ago by intrepid plant hunters. This is the Hydrangea Valley at Trebah gardens, near Falmouth. The hydrangeas were planted 70 years ago, over two acres. Aren't they splendid?


So much pleasure,

14 comments:

Gill said...

What a fabulous colour blue your Hydrangea is. I've just treated myself to one with very deep pink/red flowers. Its in a pot as our soil is awful, clay but the land was originally a foundry. At our old house I used to dry some of the heads and put them in a vase. Xx

Angela said...

So beautiful

Granny Marigold said...

Hydrangeas truly are the most beautiful blooming shrubs. Is the one that you have that has blues and even pink flowers Endless Summer? I have that one
( currently under a large sheet protecting it from the hot sun).
Could the unusual Hydrangea be a white lacecap?

Jan said...

Beautiful! Those are the colors and flowers that my daughter chose for her wedding years ago.

Cheryl said...

A county that specializes in hydrangeas? Delightful! They are so beautiful. I love every variety that I have seen, but the deep blue are especially lovely!

Visits With Mary said...

Beautiful flowers! I especially love the hydrangea, it reminds me of my great grand mother, she had a big one beside her front porch. I remember as a little girl how fascinated I was with BIG blooms.

KirstenM said...

I wonder if that is a butterfly hydrangea? Maybe that's the same thing as a lacecap.
Your hydrangea are beautiful

Jackie said...

I fell in love with hydrangea's when we visited the UK. We can only grow the white ones in our gardens here as the others are not hardy enough for our very cold winters.

God bless.

ellen b. said...

Oh, so splendid! I've always enjoyed hydrangeas. I don't grow them here because the deer like them too much!

R's Rue said...

Your hydrangeas are beautiful. I love them. Happy Saturday.
rkrsrue.blogspot.com

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Your photos are a joy. And the hydrangeas are gorgeous. Especially the one blooming in blue and rogue pink in your own garden. Thanks, Barbara.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Such a lovely sight to see all those shades of blue on the hydrangeas. I have two plants here but they have suffered badly with the heat over the last few weeks.

Sara said...

Hydrangeas truly do put on a spectacular show. They are not so common here; I think maybe it is normally too hot and dry for them. I see small bushes here and there, but nothing as big as what you show. A bit further north though, and they really thrive.

DeniseinVA said...

These are a sight to behold. Thank you!

Changes of colour

Earlier this year my Hydrangeas were such a beautiful blue colour. Now as the Autumn is beginning to creep in, this same bush has turned a d...