Sunday, 5 July 2026

Bits of Wimbledon


Every Summer we have the excitement of Wimbledon Tennis Tournaments. I watch now and then, and find I don't know the names of players any more.



As I watch I run Subtitles. Being hard of hearing, and hearing aids not picking up everything, it's useful to see the words.
I'm not sure whether the subtitles are put on by something like AI, or whether its a 'real person', but occasionally the mistakes are amusing.
These are taken from the commentators at the match.

We heard...'he lost the set against catching.....catching over.....Kachinova'
'Some it up for us',....... 'a grand lunch...lunge'
and 'he Julie applied.....duly applied'
Well, it kept me amused for a minute or two!

These are two blooms from Pierre de Ronsard, a rose that hangs its head, so can't really be picked for a tall vase. It's one of my favourites.

The intense heat has decimated my roses and so many of the flowers have dropped. More heat this week to come!




16 comments:

Poppypatchwork said...

This weather is not good for roses, mibe are suffering. I enjoy the tennis, not used the subtitles.

Angela said...

I love the subtitles. BBC local news ones are AI generated and almost instantaneous. And very funny sometimes

Granny Marigold said...

The roses are lovely. It's sad to see them suffer in intense heat.
Without subtitles we both find it impossible to follow any TV program even though he has hearing aids and I don't ( yet). They can be funny though.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'm loving the tennis as usual and the hot weather is a good excuse to sit around watching as much as possible!
My roses are flowering and dropping petals almost straight away - very sad to see

Catherine said...

A new heat wave is beginning today and the gardens suffer a lot especially the roses.

Deanna Rabe said...

I grew up watching Wimbledon and I don't know any of the players anymore either. It's still fun to watch. Your rose is lovely.

Lorrie said...

We often watch with subtitles, too, and they can be amusing! How lovely your roses are despite the punishing heat.

ellen b. said...

We are heading into a heat filled week here. I hope things cool down for you, soon. I was just musing over the commentators during world cup. Some of their statements make me laugh. Captions are another source of amusement. Those roses are stunning. Happy new week to you.

Visits With Mary said...

I also read the subtitles, I wish they would stay up longer, sometimes I can't finish reading one until another pops up. I guess they try to stay up with the people speaking. The roses are beautiful.

Jackie said...

Such a beautiful rose.

God bless.

doodles n daydreams said...

I don't always pick up on commentaries either and those subtitles were amusing. What a beautiful rose!

Wrinkly Martha said...

Love a subtitle - especially on YouTube when I watch football podcasts and the HOH would rather not hear any more football - especially at the moment!

Cheryl said...

The subtitle "bloopers" are quite amusing! :) Those roses look lovely in the shallow bowl, the perfect way to display them. I am getting weary of the summer heat, and we're not even halfway through yet. I am trying to enjoy all of the good things about summertime, including sweet days with family visiting!

MELODY JACOB said...

I enjoyed the little Wimbledon moments you shared, especially the funny subtitle mistakes. Those unexpected mix-ups can add a bit of amusement to watching a match. Your Pierre de Ronsard rose is beautiful too, even with its shy, hanging blooms. It is always a little sad when the summer heat takes a toll on the garden, but those flowers you do get to enjoy are still such a treat.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I don't know many of the tennis players now so rarely watch matches. The subtitles made watching more interesting though.
The roses are beautiful and it is shame that the weather has not helped them this year. I'm sure they smell wonderful in that shallow bowl.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I use sub-titles as am partially deaf and, like you, my hearing aid doesn't pick up everything when Im watching tv. The spelliing and interpretation on sub-titles is terrible and often confusing I find. I have watched a bit of the tennis, I would like to go to Wimbledon, it's not far from us and friends went but with the searing heat this Summer and no shade/shelter, they found it unbearable. Your roses are superb. I have just bought a red rose for friends celebrating their Ruby anniverary, it's called Precious Ruby and is a lovely dark red, Im hoping I can keep it happy until the weekend when I hand it over! Betty

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...