Tuesday, 26 July 2016

Garden glimpses.

We have been wishing for a small conservatory for a while.
At last it's here!
A place for us to sit, chat over coffee, watch the birds feeding and just enjoy the garden.

My big French terra cotta pots get filled up every Summer with geraniums. The white one is from cuttings we brought back with us.

Things are happening in the Greenhouse!

A Courgette (zucchini) flower.
Sadly the courgettes don't live up to the promise of the flowers.

Runner beans are starting and we have a picking for lunch most days.

I planted Clematis 'Dark Eyes' this year and she is showing promise of being rather lovely.

This Clematis gets bigger and better every year as it soars up the old apple tree.
As it was here when we bought the house, I have no idea which variety it is, but its pale lilac flowers make my heart sing.

That was just a quick look at my garden today.
It will soon be time to begin cutting things back, and preparing for Spring and Autumn bulbs.
Summer goes too quickly.

27 comments:

Simple Living said...

I would love a conservatory one day, enjoy x

ellen b. said...

That is a very nice space to be able to enjoy your garden. Look at all the tomatoes. There's nothing like a fresh tomato from the vine! Enjoy...

Jenny said...

What a beautiful conservatory! Enjoying ones garden is a small, special moment that I treasure! Your flowers look just lovely and your vegetables look delicious! I love home grown tomatoes and all vegetables actually:) Enjoy your day!

Pondside said...

The conservatory is a wonderful addition to your house/life! In our climate I know that we would really enjoy one too. I am great at rationalizing purchases by cost per use/wear. A conservatory would get use more than once a day!
Isn't it nice to buy a house with a garden that has at least some mature plantings? The clematis in the tree is lovely.

Frances said...

Elizabeth, what a great addition the conservatory will be! Your garden is looking quite wonderful.

Whenever I see beautiful clematis in bloom, I am reminded of a friend's cottage garden I used to visit. It's a bit of a wistful memory as my friend, who was an avid gardener, passed away from a sudden heart attack in his garden. I do treasure memories of that special place and person. xo

Sylvia said...

Love your conservatory, I would love to have one, sitting outside is a favorite time of the day for me. It's too hot here to be out for any length of time.A glass enclosed room would be perfect!

Lorrie said...

Your conservatory will be such a bright and cheering spot from which to observe your garden. The lilac clematis is such a pretty colour. I arrived home to three large (but not unusable) courgettes, plus beets ready to pull and lots of weeds, too.

Visits With Mary said...

Your garden is so pretty, how nice to have a conservatory to sit in and enjoy it all!

ann said...

Love the conservatory because I have always wanted one. I dreqm of sitting in mine with the winter snow swirling about me. You will enjoy yours so much. I picked our first zucchini the other day and used one in a salad. They will come now so quickly that they will be a foot long before I get them picked. Your garden looks healthy and lovely.

Frugally challenged said...

Oooh, please don't talk about autumn yet! I haven't started on broad beans, never mind runners!

Carolien said...

Hello Elizabeth,

Your conservatory is a dream, I wish you many happy hours there while watching the garden and the birds, the skies and all that pleases the eyes!
Your plants are doing really well, nice to see ...

Have a good week & love, Carolien

Anonymous said...

It's just lovely! Your flowers are so pretty too. I love the clematis.:-)
Enjoy your garden ♥

Alex said...

The conservatory is a real plus! You must be so pleased.
That pale lilac clematis looks absolutely beautiful.

Angela said...

I miss the conservatory we used to have in Leicestershire - may yours be a real blessing to you both - a haven of peace to sit and enjoy the sunshine and watch the garden and hear the birdsong...

Sarah said...

I love your little conservatory, Elizabeth! What a pleasant place for both of you. Your plants in your greenhouse and all the flowers look so nice, too!

Mary said...

I know you will spend many lovely hours here - enjoy coffee breaks, tea times, whatever, and be surrounded by nature, sunshine. . . . . . and even enjoy on rainy days!
Hugs - Mary

Mimi said...

Dear Elizabeth, what a joy to have a conservatory of all things! I can only dream. Your garden is a joy. I adore geraniums in terracotta pots. They remind me of Italy. Much love to you. Mimi xxx

Anne Payne said...

I've been away too long, my friend! Your conservatory is lovely and the Clematis....WOW!!! Our new home has almost no pretty landscaping so next year will be a busy one getting the outside 'prettified', I hope :) I think of you often. It's just been so crazy moving for a second time in a year, and our youngest son decided to move back in with us sooooo...that adds to my already full plate but I ADORE having him around. *big grin*
{{hugs}}

Elderberry-Rob said...

I am pleased for you, the conservatory is such a wonderful thing to have - it's a little greenhouse, a cosy spot to watch the birds, somewhere warm to snuggle up and watch the stars at night, somewhere for an early morning cuppa when it's a little too fresh in the garden, I do hope you both get plenty of time out there together. Your garden is looking great, time to think about Autumn already? ok, I like the idea of setting up some bulb tubs and getting some pruning done - lead the way! Betty

Rambler said...

I love the new conservatory and I hope it will be a well-used addition to your home and garden. I'm so impressed by your garden - it's so pretty and well manicured. Mine is always 'out of control', has no straight lines at all, an untidy and wild cottage garden look - and I have a constant battle with the slugs!

Terri said...

I love it! Your garden looks wonderful. I didn't plant one this year and I do have twinges of regret every now and then. I hope you enjoy your new conservatory (greenhouse, here in the States).

Pom Pom said...

Your garden is absolutely gorgeous. I love your new conservatory!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a lovely little place to sit and ponder, you'll get many enjoyable hours out of it.
Your flowers are beautiful and well-tended.
~Jo

Boyett-Brinkley said...

your conservatory is lovely as are your flowers. That squash is lovely -- we had one once with the most gorgeous blossom but then one day it just fell over -- had a huge worm in it! Hopefully that won't happen with yours!

Denise said...

How lovely to have a conservatory and I love Your garden too.Hope You have lots of time to enjoy-Denise

Denise said...

How lovely to have a conservatory and I love Your garden too.Hope You have lots of time to enjoy-Denise

Debbie Harris said...

Such a beautiful place to enjoy the sunshine and beauty of your garden, which is quite lovely.
Your clematis plants are gorgeous! I planted some last year but they did not come up this year, too cold where we live I believe.

Enjoy your day~~

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...