Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Tomato time.

Bowls of tomatoes from the greenhouse.
Warm and scented, shiny red , so eatable straight from the stem!
I remember picking them from my Grandpa's greenhouse and loving the feel, the smell...and the taste.

But, processing is a must, and mine are prepared for the freezer rather than canned.
 Peeling is easy when dipped into boiling water for a minute.

Then, diced shallots, a little garlic, salt and pepper go in with the tomatoes.
 Fresh Basil is sprinkled on top. A little tomato puree added.
Simmered slowly, the kitchen scented with goodness.

And the first of the plastic boxes are ready for the freezer.
On a cold Autumn day I will be using this tomato sauce for pasta or soup.


So lovely to be eating Summer produce through the Winter.

26 comments:

Sara said...

Delicious. Vine-ripened tomatoes are a real treat; so much better than what's available in the markets here. Blessings to you and your husband for a lovely rest of the week over there in Cornwall!

Angela said...

I have grown a few tomatoes this year- but feeling very blessed that TWO friends brought us bags of their home grown to see this morning. I think I shall make and freeze some sauce too.

Melanie said...

It sounds so good! Perfect for a cold winter night.

Terri said...

They look wonderful. I didn't plant a garden this year but found a regional farmer's market where farmers come and sell their produce twice a week. Fresh tomatoes - yum!

Sarah said...

Beautiful tomatoes, Elizabeth! And what a blessing to be able to make tomato sauce with them to use and enjoy during the winter months.

Frugally challenged said...

OOh, it's the smell which gets me. Nothing is quite like the smell of homegrown tomatoes. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Nice tomatoes! The sauce will be a delight through the winter.

bayou said...

Mouthwatering! Sadly, still no greenhouse here but top of the list for our next house.

Anonymous said...

Oh Barbara I have a bushel waiting for me to process. I am canning mine because there is no more room in the freezer 😄😄

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Tomatoes and summer go hand in hand ... and your harvest looks so delicious stewing in your pot. With fresh basil. Oh yum!!

Cheryl said...

Oh, my! This sounds heavenly! I can only imagine how wonderful your kitchen smells! We have been enjoying tomatoes from a local produce market and will be sad when the season is past. I love just slicing them and eating them as a snack with salt. SO good! God bless you, my friend. :)

ellen b. said...

Beautiful harvest and how great to be able to pull out that goodness over the winter.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Delicious, home grown always smells and tastes better than the shops and in the Winter they are going to be a real treat in a warming meal.

Lorrie said...

You've evoked the essence of a summer garden and kitchen here with your tomatoes. You'll enjoy eating the fruits of your labours in the cooler days to come.

Frances said...

Elizabeth, I really love tomato season, and make the most of my farmers market visits. So far this year, I've just eaten the ripe tomatoes in salads or cooked them in sauces similar to those you've been making. I've never actually frozen any of my sauces, usually just switching over to sun-dried tomatoes during the cold weather months.

I guess that means that I have that gigantic freshly-picked tomato appreciation season beginning every July. And there is joy in the land! xo

ann said...

I don't know how I miss so many of your posts. Yes, I do. Not paying attention. I usually make salsa for my love of Mexican food out of tomatoes, but your recipe sounds so delicious. Our tomatoes are a pretty sorry lot this year, but I will have a few, so I think I will try your simple recipe. Sounds so delicious. New chair must be a god-send!

Alex said...

A wonderful crop! Your vibrant tomato puree will bring some sunshine to a future rainy day!

Mary said...

We have lovely tomatoes here in summer BUT there's really nothing as flavorful as an English tomato! I remember them well when mum made sandwiches and we took them to the beach after school - by the time we scoffed them down they were all damp and soft, but still delicious!
The sauce will be enjoyed in winter too.

Hope all is well dear.
Mary -

Visits With Mary said...

My Goodness, I bet that's good! I love tomatoes anyway you serve them.

bristowmom said...

I planted tomatoes for the first time in my life this year. All of the plants died! I'll try again next year.

Elizabethd said...

They do need gallons of water!

Cranberry Morning said...

Tomatoes are at the top of my planting list each spring. Peppers are second. Your soup starter sounds aromatic and delicious! Tomato and basil, such a great combination!

Cranberry Morning said...

Tomatoes are at the top of my planting list each spring. Peppers are second. Your soup starter sounds aromatic and delicious! Tomato and basil, such a great combination!

Stephanie said...

Your tomatoes look wonderful, my friend. I am not a big tomato lover, but when they are fresh from the garden than I will enjoy several {{smiles}}

Hugs to you, dear one.

Angela said...

My sauce is made and frozen now, as per your recipe - the kitchen smelled gorgeous!

Daisy Debs said...

I just wanted to say a big thankyou for sharing your seeds with me ...the Pink shell Cosmos and indeed those beautiful Marmand tomatoes have done very well.I will be saving the seeds from them to grow again next year . I,ve never grown such big tomatoes and my husband is thrilled with them ! :) Hope you're keeping well, sending you a hug . Debbie x

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...