Saturday, 15 October 2016

Ups and downs.

It's been a mixed week here.
My poor husband succumbed to a very nasty bronchial infection after we returned home, and has twice had to see a doctor. I'm so thankful that we have the out of hours service here, where a Dr will come out at a weekend.
So it's antibiotics, nourishing soups and rice pudding, real nursery food!


I was due to have a flu jab this weekend but couldn't leave home, so will have to reschedule. I would have preferred to get it over!

During the week I was reversing the car very slowly, and suddenly heard a bang. I had come up against a protruding stone in the wall, which broke my rear light, which will of course cost rather too much to repair

That's enough of the doleful.

Gazing out of my bedroom window at 3am (as one does), I was thrilled to see a hedgehog trundling around our lawn. It's the first time I've seen one here.
I'm sure it was Fuzzypeg.

And still flowering, a lovely rose called Dr Jo.
One can find joy in spite of all the irritations.
Psalm 94:19 ESV / When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.

24 comments:

Lynn said...

I love the rose ~ never heard of it before. I've hedgehog watched in the middle of night and was amazed at how quickly they can move. Get well soon to M and wishing you well and some rest☺ x

Melanie said...

A lovely rose! Such a pretty color. I hope your hubby is feeling better and that you can get rest too. I'm sorry too about your rear light. I hope you can find a way to get it fixed without too much money. Have a blessed weekend.

Angela said...

What a lovely rose, such a gorgeous colour. Hope your weekend is full of unexpected blessings to make up for earlier issues. X

Pom Pom said...

I'll pray for M! I hate it when I bash the car (come to think of it, it hasn't happened in my current car!)
I hope you treat yourself to rice pudding and soups, too!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles, with your husband being sick, and the expense of the car needing fixed. Will pray soups and puddings and rest will help! Hot steam face baths with eucalyptus or peppermint can help with congestion, email me if you want specifics. Praying for you dear friend, and glad that you have such a beautiful rose and hope in the Lord to cheer you up!

Lorrie said...

I'm sorry for your series of troubles, but glad that they are all mendable. I pray that your husband will soon feel much better. How delightful to see a hedgehog in your garden! And that late bloom of roses is like a gift!

Simple Living said...

Poor husband and what a week for you, things are sent to try us but we seem to get through them some how, take care, Marlene x

Alex said...

I hope he will be much better soon, Barbara.
Rice pudding with nutmeg, that's a favourite of mine.
I hope you can get back to normal soon even if it means a jab in the armm as a reward!!
You both will be in my prayers ~

Terri said...

Praying your husband feels better soon! Hopefully this will be a better week.

ellen b. said...

Oh dear one, may God carry you through. Love, love, love the verse you shared at the end of this post.

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

I hope your husband feels better soon. Fascinating that you saw a hedgehog, we have them here but only as pets sold at the pet stores. Hope the rest of your weekend goes well.

Sara said...

I am so sorry to hear about the illness and mishaps and pray those nourishing soups and rice puddings do their work speedily. We never see hedgehogs (unfortunately) here at 3 am when gazing out the window, but there could always be a skunk or two. Hedgehogs are much nicer, especially when Fuzzypeg!

Elderberry-Rob said...

wishing hubby a speedy recovery, how delightful to have hedgehogs, they are in decline, I haven't seen any for 2 years.

Daisy Debs said...

In my prayers ! Hugs x I had my flu jab yesterday at our Health centre , while thunder, lightening and torrential rain carried on outside,briefly causing a powercut ! The nurse did it painlessly !.....but today my arm hurts ..oh well , lets hope they,ve chosen the correct strain of flu this year ! :)

Frances said...

Elizabeth, I'm sending you and your husband best wishes. Perhaps last week's lead up to tonight's full moon set some aspects in motion. You are so wise to give space to the little hedgehog and those beautiful roses. (Thank you for reminding me about getting that flu shot.) xo

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Hope your hubby is feeling well enough to get his jab over and done with soon xx

Visits With Mary said...

Had my jab this past week...ouch!! Hope hubby is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear lady...I pray that your husband gets better soon. And hitting a wall...oh boy, I'm sure your week coming up will be much better :) mari

ann said...

I am so sorry to read that your husband is ill. Your good nurturing will help him regain his health. I've never taken the flu shot. Before my own doctor retired, he suggested that I should be getting mine. Just as in all the years before I told him that I don't get the flu; I don't get sick; I don't get colds--often. Seldom. I do hope you find someone who can repair your car, another woe that one does not need. Flowers do have the amazing power to make us feel better, don't they?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear your husband is not well and will keep him in prayer. When it rains, it pours, sometimes. I've never seen a hedgehog in the wild. That was a treat, and your roses are beautiful. Find joy this week! Hugs, Anne ♥

Cheryl said...

I am so sorry that your husband has been ill. I hope he has recovered from the bronchial infection! And, good grief, an automotive mishap is a bother when you're already stretched too thin. Praying for grace for you both.

A hedgehog...delightful!

What a beautiful, strengthening passage at the end of your post. May those words continue to be true for you...

Sylvia said...

I have had my flu shot also. Hope your days are back to recovering.

Carolien said...

Good morning dear Elizabeth,

I hope your husband is feeling better, must be with all those lovely recipes you're making, so sweet ... Oh bad luck with your car, it is annoying ...
Your rose looks wonderful. Here the last Graham Thomas is gicing me a smile.
Your book must be lovely, the picture alone ...

Have a good day and I hope your husband is better soon!

bristowmom said...

As usual, I'm late to read your post. Hope all is well by now.

I read an article in an English publication yesterday which used the word "trundling"; it made me smile and I thought how I love British English, having always been a fan of words. You made me smile again when you also used the word trundling in this post!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...