Monday, 20 March 2017

Primrose wine.


One or two people asked about Primrose Wine. I wasn't sure, but I found this recipe for you.

I don't think I'll be picking 4 pints of primroses!

Image result for primrose wine
  • Pick the heads – at least a couple of litres each (or 4 pints in total).
  • Boil a gallon of  water and dissolve 1 kilo (2.2lbs) of sugar, the juice of a lemon, the juice of an orange and two teaspoons of cream of tartar.
  • Place flower heads in large container  and pout on the water.
  • Cover container with a clean tea-towel and leave for 3 days
  • Strain juice from the heads into a sterile demi-john
  • Add yeast and an airlock.
  • Leave until fermentation has finished.
  • You can either bottle it as is or I prefer a bit of a sparkle in all my country wine so add a small teaspoon of sugar to each bottle to prime it and then seal.
  • The priming sugar will start a secondary fermentation and put a fizz into the bottle.
  • Make sure you use bottles (like old sparkling wine bottles or plastic fizzy-pop bottles) that can stand the pressure.
  • Leave for at least a further two weeks. Longer if possible.
  • Serve chilled!

18 comments:

Pom Pom said...

That sounds complicated! I think Primrose Wine is a lovely name for something bubbly (I think I would put the sugar in it).
Thank you for finding the recipe.

Simple Living said...

I don't fancy it at all, I would rather see the Primroses in the garden.

Elizabethd said...

I agree!

Elderberry-Rob said...

that's surprising, I think it would be very lovely to taste but like Simple Living I decided I would rather see them growing - that's an awful lot of primrose in a glass of wine! how kind you are to find the recipe. I hope if anyone tries it they will share the outcome.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Elizabethd said...

I would love to know if anyone has tried this! (apart from Grey Rabbit)

Kathleen Grace said...

What a fascinating recipe! I have never heard of this. It would be a good idea to remember that if you are purchasing primroses from a big box store or nursery for this that you need to make sure no systemic pesticides are used on them :)

Lorrie said...

Primrose wind sounds whimsical, but I think I'll enjoy my primroses in the garden while sipping some grape wine!

Daisy Debs said...

Me too :(

Anonymous said...

This does sound interesting Barbara...I do enjoy primroses :D mari

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, so interesting! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us!

ann said...

Never heard of Primrose wine. We don't drink wine either, nor do I grow primroses, but I do love them. It does sound delicious and fun to make. Fun to serve to guests, too. With ice cream?

Patricia said...

How interesting! I don't drink wine myself but Primrose Wine sounds so pretty..I wonder what it tastes like? Personally, I'd rather see all those cheerful little flowers in my garden or on my windowsill. :)

ellen b. said...

Well that is interesting!

baili said...

How interesting and charming idea!Loved the name

Terri said...

Sounds very interesting!

Connie said...

Very interesting post . . . the things you learn in blog-land are amazing :) This is my first visit to your lovely blog and I'm planing on being your newest follower. That is if I can get the follow button to work. I've been having a devil of a time with it lately. I get discombobulated when simple things don't work. I do hope that you'll visit me and maybe even follow me back. I'm just an old retired lady enjoying my retirement years . . . stitching, gardening and making a home:)
Nice to meet you.
Connie :)

Anne Payne said...

Sounds yummy! We have made Peach wine but I didn't like it. Too fermented! :)

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...