Two rather different books have been on my table lately.
This one was mentioned on NearlyMarthaAgain blog, and having read some of Pen Wilcock's books before, I was curious to read it.
It is a 'Lenten Journey', with a writing for each day, short, but very telling.
The best way to describe them is from the back cover, where Gerard Kelly (author of Church Actually) says,
"She trades doctrine for delight and religion for relationship...."
I'm reading one a day as a sort of Lenten quiet moment, laughing sometimes at her prose, thinking deeply about her insights.
So glad to have that recommendation. Thank you.
You may think it very odd that I am probably the one person in the world who hasn't read Laura Ingalls Wilder.
My only excuse is that , being English, we were brought up on Winnie the Pooh (proper versions as of course it would be in those far off days), Grey Rabbit, and anything by Beatrix Potter. All very British.
So many references pepper the blog world that I felt it was time I did something about it.
I have to say that I am charmed by the stories of Laura's life with her patiently hard working mother, little sister and somewhat dotty father. Dare I say that? He did seem to up-sticks and move around just when they were nicely settled somewhere. I think I would have dug my heels in...but then, there were Indians involved which might have made a difference.
Now I am working my way through the books,often found on Amazon for pennies, and finding them delightful.
So, two books which , amongst many others recently read and reading, are both in their way , rather special.


18 comments:
Laura's Pa certainly was one to move around! Glad you are enjoying them!
Well dear lady...you are not the only one. I have also never read L.I.Wilder books. I wasn't born in the States, so I was not aware of them and their history. I have them, but can't seem to read them. Maybe I'll start them this month :0) The other one looks quite interesting :0) mari
When my brother, sisters and I would walk to the library I checked out each of the Wilder books and just ate them up. I found our daughters set and I've been reading through them again. I'm going to have to check out The Wilderness Withing You...
I read them as an adult, too. Ma worked so hard and was so gentle. I love The Long Winter.
The Long Winter is my favorite too. I'm so glad you are enjoying the books!
I'm always happy to get recommendations for books and The Wilderness Within You is such a one.
The Little House books have long been favourites of mine - I still read portions of them from time to time.
I like that verb "up-sticks," which is completely new to me :-) And how lovely, to become acquainted with Laura Ingalls Wilder for the first time at any age.
I didn't know the books as a child, but discovered them while reading to my own young children. Farmer Boy was always my favorite, maybe for the reason you allude to, that Almanzo's family was much more stable and well-off.
I mean, his family didn't move around at all, the way the Ingallses did, and they reaped the benefit of having land and farm that they had worked for years and built up.
I didn't read any "Little House" books until I was an adult. I have to agree with you that the wandering spirit was very much in evidence in Pa. There is something very warm and stable about staying in one place. I read a lot of Bobbsey Twins when I was small. The other books sounds very inspirational. Have a blessed day.
Oooo... thank you for that book recommendation. I love the book description and I'm off to find a copy.
Haven't read Laura's books for ages, but they were such a joy to read as a girl. I read her autobiography a few years ago and was much delighted to read it. Can't recall the name right now.
I read the Little House books 2 years or so ago. Such a different time! I agree, I think often Pa did not really have a choice but to move, but the initial move is always more of a question... it's amazing how one's parents can decide to move and then the family's life is so different than it would of been! My Mom's family moved to Canada when she was 1 from Holland; it was mind-blowing to think that (other than the fact that I would not exist, as my Dad grew up in MI) my Mom's children could of lived and died in the Netherlands instead of in Canada and the States. I think the search for a stable life and greater $ Independence for one's family is often the reason that people move, and even cross oceans for.
Well, I have not read Little House either; not did I watch the popular TV show years ago. I did read Winnie the Pooh, however. One of my favorite books is the copy that my college roommate gave me for my 21st birthday. Winnie is still my favorite. I don't like what Disney films have done to the Hundred Acre Wood and its residents, either. Chilly here this morning with much need rain. Won't be enough to bring on spring blooms, but it settle the dust. Enjoy your reading.
First, I love your new blog background! Second, I am glad you have discovered and are enjoying Laura Ingalls Wilder. I read all that series of books when I was about 10 years old and still remember some few scenes from them. As a young girl, I found them fascinating reading. And third, your Lenten selection sounds very interesting. It's nice to take a moment each day and devote it to such thoughts during the Lenten season. I don't know Pen Wilcock but perhaps I should! I hope all is going well with your husband and that spring is bringing some sunshine into your world.
I'm a Winnie-the-Pooh, Beatrix Potter and Little House fan. We read all of these many time to our children while growing up. :-) The Lenten book sounds good too. ♥
Well, I grew up reading all the books you mentioned and I am definitely not from over there. ;) I actually prefer British literature most of the time. I tried LH books but didn't enjoy them, and liked the TV series even less. Too syrupy or something for me. But then I never liked The Walton's either. :)
I am glad you are finding new and interesting books to spend time in. I love having a bibliophile friend across the pond! Much love~
I haven't read either but they are both now on my list.
I can probably get Little House on my kindle.
However, The Wilderness within You would be a keeper for me.
I like to have a meditative book beside me too.
hello elizabethd
i have all books read from laura ingalls wilder,and i love it.i love the long winter.
have a nice weekend,
regina
I loved the Little House books. Last summer I visited Laura and Almanzo's house in Mansfield, Missouri, USA. Also a wonderful museum there, which held many items mentioned in the books--such as Pa's violin!
Post a Comment