Monday, 17 April 2017

Easter wanderings.

The front of Trelissick House.

We followed a glorious Easter Church service with a visit to Trelissick gardens, our local National Trust House. The sun shone, the day was warm and the tourists were out in force. We had a delicious lunch in the Barn restaurant and then rolled the wheelchair around the part of the garden that is accessible.
Did my camera come too?
Sadly, no.
So any photos are from the NT website.
But this is exactly how we found the gardens, bathed in sunshine, glowing with colour.

Bluebells misted the paths, with wild garlic and primroses amongst them. Little paths seem to lead off into secret woodland areas.

At this time of year everyone goes to Trelissick to see the giant Rhododendrons, and the Azaleas.
We wandered down this very path, stopping to feel the Azalea petals which looked just like tissue paper.

I think some of the Rhododendrons must be many years old. The Copeland family brought some plants from Bodnant Gardens in the 1930s when the gardens were remodelled. Sadly one of the largest  ones with spectacular scarlet flowers fell last Autumn in one of the storms.

We have such a wonderful place to visit, and the best thing is that it is only a couple of miles from our home.
We have been NT members for over thirty years, keeping on our membership through the years that we were living in France, simply because we believe it is good to support the care of so many national treasures.

23 comments:

Angela said...

I am so glad you had such a lovely Easter Sunday together- church and then lunch in such glorious surroundings. What a joy for you both!!

bayou said...

It must be beautiful in Spring! How great to have been able to enjoy a great day out, I can imagine it so well whilst it has been a while now since we met there :-).
We too, are NT members and RHS members and members of the Woodland trust, just for the same reasons than you. I hope we will be able to make full use of our memberships one day...

Pom Pom said...

Good for you, supporting the national treasures. They are indeed treasures. Wow!
It sounds like your Easter was just right! Yay!

ellen b. said...

I've always been impressed with Great Britain's National Treasures. What a lovely place to have a stroll. Rhododendrons are Washington's state flower. We have 5 different bushes in our yard. Only one of those did we plant ourselves. The rest are a lot older and established 3 growing as tall as the house. I think we need to prune them. Glad your Easter day was glorious...as it should be!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Such a beautiful garden! What a lovely day to go and visit them, too!

Lorrie said...

What a lovely way to spend an Easter afternoon. The gardens look all dressed up in their Easter finery.

Anonymous said...

The gardens are lovely, Elizabeth! I love the purples best!

Kathleen Grace said...

What a spectacular garden! Our flowers have really just begun to bloom here in the northern U.S. but seeing your beautiful flowers makes me so excited for things to bloom here. I am so glad you had a lovely Easter!

Frugally challenged said...

It was such a joy to meet you at Trelissick. You are very lucky to have such a lovely place so close to home. I'm feeling jealous!

Carolien said...

Good morning Barbara,

I am so happy you had a good Easter day! It all looks so wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Love, Carolien

Helen Philipps said...

Such a lovely Easter outing...the gardens look so beautiful and I am glad you had such a sunny day too.
Helen xox

ann said...

I would love to have been on of those tourists, Barbara. Sounds like you and your husband had a lovely day. The azaleas are impressive, especially since we don't have such glorious ones here. Ah to be in England in April as Robert Browning wrote.

Cheryl said...

That looks like a most lovely way to spend an Easter afternoon! Thanks for taking us along!

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful and joyous Easter you had, my friend! Such a blessing.

Thinking of you, dear one. Love and hugs!

Cheryl said...

Oh, how beautiful! I would find it hard to leave a place like this! How beautiful Heaven must be...it is hard to imagine that it could be prettier than this, but we know it will be. God bless you, sweet friend. :)

Anonymous said...

I think if I lived that close to the gardens, I would be visiting there quite often. It's just beautiful!
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Barbara...just beautiful :0) mari

Anne Payne said...

I think I would be over at that gorgeous place every day! Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures. We just don't have that kind of grandeur here. {{hugs}}

Allison said...

What beautiful gardens and such a lovely place to walk! Thank you for sharing these pictures. I wish we had such lovely shrubs and flowers here. Thanks for posting!!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

What a wonderful garden to visit this time of year!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Such a beautiful and lovely way to celebrate Easter! He is risen! And such beauty to enjoy too, what a blessing!

podso said...

Beautiful gardens and I love seeing the bluebells especially. Our neighbor has a few but they seem to be rare here and I associate them with your country.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a wonderful Easter celebration all day long. The photos from NT are lovely indeed.

Wishing you His beauty and grace...
Brenda
xox

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...