Every now and then, in the midst of all the list making and preparations for my husband's short time away, I need to take a quiet walk in my garden, just to 'balance' myself.
Beautiful Zephirine Drouhin, the thornless rose, was the first to flower, and is covered in buds opening daily.
A glimpse of my greenhouse, with three different varieties of Tomato. As always, I surround them with French marigold which is supposed to frighten greenfly away! It must be the scent, which is very pungent. The tomatoes are doing well so far.
I don't grow many vegetables now, but we have a few rows of shallots, beans, spinach and snap peas coming up, enough for a few meals from our garden.
Peering somewhat coyly behind the Pulsatilla is the delightful Anchusa, one of my favourite flowers, probably because it's blue!
Lastly, back on the terrace, pots of scented French Lavender, Verbena and Petunias. I love these dusty pinky colours.
It's very restorative, a wander round the garden at the end of a very busy day.
17 comments:
The garden is a good place to find balance.
I have greenfly on the roses, so I will try planting some marigolds.
Being in the garden, some nature and fresh air is good for the soul xx
A walk in a garden always makes me feel better! Prayers for your husbands time away, and your respite, Elizabeth.
French marigolds are the best.
Lovely. Looks like you have a green thumb!
You have a beautiful garden to enjoy! Your flowers are so pretty.
Elizabeth, your garden is growing quite nicely. Such lovely flowers! A walk in the garden should set things right. xo
Your garden looks like sheer delight!
Hello dear Elizabeth,
I am glad you have your moments of peace in the garden ...
The garden and the greenhouse look wonderful. I always find it so charming when the vegetables-to-grow are surrounded by plants like marigolds etc. Functional but also very beautiful to see!
xxx Carolien
So pretty! I'm glad you have your garden. My thoughts are with you as you care for your husband.
Your garden is beautiful! I agree, a walk in the garden is one of the best ways to unwind. I look forward to warm weather so much just so I can get those plants growing and putter in the sunshine and fresh air.
Hello. I have been slow to comment lately. Too much going on, I guess. We have snow, Barb. Snow in the middle of May. It is a heavy wet snow that won't last long and we wonder why the David Austins didn't like it here. I think we might be just a tad too far north. Your little garden is perfect and so neatly laid out. Who needs half an acre of vegetables any way?
wonderful flowers! I am so glad you have such a nice garden to wander in! I hope you can get some rest soon! God bless you!!!
Hi! Visiting you from Connie's blog. The tomatoes and flowers around your greenhouse look so nice. I think wandering in a garden is so refreshing any time! Nancy
I agree, a walk outside in my garden does me so much good too! It is wonderful to see the bright faces of color greeting me! Your tomatoes are doing great, and I always plant marigolds with mine too. Herbs such as parsley and basil work well with tomatoes too. I hope you have a bountiful and blessed harvest, and will be praying for you with this transition with your husband!
A short turn around the garden is a wonderful way to take a break. I find myself in a calmer frame of mind when I return to the house.
Your garden is ahead of ours, but summer has suddenly arrived (and I hope she stays), so perhaps things will begin moving along quickly. I plant marigolds with my vegetables, too. Perhaps I learned it from you!
We plant french marigolds in amongst our veggies too, with great results! :) xx
Post a Comment