It seems an age since I last wrote.
Since then I have taken my husband to a beautiful Nursing Home at Stover in Devon where he is having a couple of weeks stay.
I have spent a long weekend with friends whom we have known for over thirty years, who used to live nearby, but who have now moved back to their old home of Herefordshire.
They have a very beautiful garden on which they have worked so hard.
We visited Ledbury and Ludlow,
The buildings are so very different to any that we have in the South West. Black and white timbers are everywhere, even on tiny houses in the villages.
We wandered through villages, we visited the gardens of a beautiful house called Hellens, we admired incredible views of three counties. The Malvern hills were visible in the far distance, as were the edges of the Welsh Hills.
A tiny hamlet, with its own notice board (and only one house that I could see) was called Hole-in-the-Wall. It sounds like a Beatrix Potter sort of place.
I returned yesterday, by train. A good journey with some Assistance at a change of station, for which I was grateful. No sooner had we left Plymouth than we came to a halt, with a hesitant announcement that as the train had hit a tree we would have to wait for a while!
Fortunately it wasn't too long before the Inspectors pronounced the train railworthy again.
I hadn't realised how badly I sleep when Malcolm is at home. I am on alert, with a monitor, and even if he coughs, I wake. So this two weeks is a restful and sleeping time for me..
....but I do miss him.
I hadn't realised how badly I sleep when Malcolm is at home. I am on alert, with a monitor, and even if he coughs, I wake. So this two weeks is a restful and sleeping time for me..
....but I do miss him.

23 comments:
What a beautiful area to visit!! The gardens and buildings are lovely.
Glad you have had a nice break, it looks amazing.
The garden looks lovely with the Lupins in flower. Something eats mine in my garden . Have tried several times yo grow them as my Dad always had them in his garden. Glad to hear your having a nice. Restful time. Hugs ValeryAnne.
Love all the photo's. You must have enjoyed it very much.
So glad you could have a lovely time with your friends. Hoping the rest and re-creation does you good. Yes, you miss M.but you know this break is important for both of you. Xx
How nice to be able to spend time with friends and see new things and then to be able to sleep. Charming cities. Blessings.
It sounds like a lovely break in a lovely part of the country xx
I'm glad you're having a real rest, but I'm sure you do miss your husband. Blessings of Grace to you Elizabeth.
How nice to be able to spent some time with your friends and get some needed rest. It's good for both of you and yes, you miss him. Prayers for you both.♡
Respite time is important for your own well-being so that you can continue to care for your dear husband. I'm glad you've had a good time away, and sleep is easier.
I get the Country Living UK email newsletter and there was an article and photo about The Feathers pub with virtually the same photo that you've shown. I did a double-take when I saw it.
Of course you miss your hubby as I am sure that he misses you! May your time apart be restful and restorative.
So very important to have this respite break. My Mum always said the same about the nights. I hope you are able to rest thoroughly and continue to have some lovely outings. Xxx
So sorry to hear your husband needed a nursing home stay, but I do hope you can catch up on your rest while he is gone. Sending love and praying for you both.
I am so sorry that you were able to take these two weeks for yourself. Every caregiver needs occasional respite to re-energize. I too felt the strangeness when Mom went into a nursing home. I kept hearing noises thinking it was her but, of course, it wasn't. Praying for you both.
My sweet friend, please know that your dear husband remains in my prayers. As Tina said, may you be able to rest and continue to enjoy some lovely outings.
Hugs and love to you!
Oh, I bet you do miss him. I hope you sleep like a baby while he is away.
I know exactly what you mean about sleeping soundly ... I'm sure you miss him dear lady... they are such parts of our every moment, than I find myself missing my daughter when I'm not with her :)
I always come to these posts so late that every thought I've had has already been said. I am glad you are getting some (necessary) rest. Praying for you and Malcolm.
We are considering relocating, Hole in the Wall sounds the perfect place (for me anyway!) lovely to see you having a little break and getting some quality sleep, hope you can establish a better sleep pattern on return.
Dear Barbara,
I hope you gained some strength again. The sleeping part is so recognizable ... Good to read you had a good time, you so deserve it!
Oh those lupins! Mine are a disaster this year, very strange. I'm glad you spotted some good ones ;)
Hugs and love, Carolien
I read that you are now back home with your husband, but it seemed you had a nice break and I hope you're rested. I love timber houses and enjoyed the pictures.
Hello Barbara , I popped in today to have a little catch up of your blog journal . You are having some lovely trips and I enjoy seeing your photographs..especially of your pretty garden . Sending you hugs from me over in Mullion :) x
Post a Comment