On Sunday our Church celebrates our Harvest service.
It's a time when the churches are beautifully decorated with produce. Though in fact, sadly, we are now encouraged to take practical tins of goods. They all go to our local Food Bank......but I still miss the old ways.
As a child it was so lovely to walk into the church scented with Michaelmas daisies, apples and even a big loaf of bread made in the shape of a sheaf of corn.
We carried our offerings, usually a pretty tissue lined basket full of apples or vegetables, and put them in front of the Altar.
Flower vases were full of Autumn leaves and colourful Dahlias.
Strings of Autumn berries twined themselves around the pillars.
Tins aren't quite the same.
Often there was a Harvest supper, with of course, Cornish pasties!
We had a Harvest lunch in the Village hall today, and finished a very nice meal by singing
'We plough the fields and scatter...'
a real Harvest hymn.
I think how fortunate we are to have such a variety of food at a time when so many countries have nothing and are torn apart through storms, landslides or war.


16 comments:
We are having a more traditional service this Sunday. My husband will be at church on Friday afternoon and evening to receive gifts of produce, which will be made into a lovely display (I am expecting massive marrows and other vegetables) Saturday night will be a quiz in aid of Bible Society, and a Harvest Supper. There will be tins etc brought on Sunday for the Food Bank... But also lots of traditional harvest hymns. I'm still not quite sure why we're going all 'retro', but I, for one, will enjoy it!
Your Harvest services sound like they were lovely. I understand how different it would be with tins of food, rather than how it used to be done. It is more practical I'm sure, but not quite as nice.
You are right about how fortunate we are with the variety of food and the abundance we have. Its a good reminder to me Elizabeth. Thank you!
I remember singing that hymn at school too and then taking our decorated boxes to the local pensioners in our village x
In the not so distant past our church was decorated for Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October in Canada, as you likely know), and the produce provided was given away to those in need. Now we collect for Food Banks, but the decor has gone by the wayside. Kind of sad to let the old traditions fall away.
Yes, we have been given much. It behooves us to share.
I'll bet that churches were beautiful filled with harvest gifts! No, cans of food are not so beautiful, although it is still a good thing to give.
Wouldn't it be lovely to give flowers as well as tins! I am sure many recipients would be very lifted to have some.
uplifted!
How wonderful! I think harvest celebrations are so generous, so loving!
Nice memories. We have a food bank which we give to, and yes, we are so blessed to have what we have, and that we can give to others. Did you bake that bread?! ♥
No! I'm not a bread baker.
Hello dear Elizabeth,
I totally agree with your observations. The bread is so beautiful, never seen a bread like that!
Have a good Harvest Sunday. We have it here as well. Without tins ;)
Love, Carolien
I would love a Cornish Pastie right now. Great harvest memories.
Beautiful childhood memories for me, thanks so much for sharing this year's Harvest Festival. I recall taking baskets to shut-ins following the service - I loved doing that.
Happy Autumn to you both.
Mary -
A lovely post....we are blessed to have a variety of food. This is my favorite season. I wish you a blessed new week.
Elizabeth, a harvest supper with Cornish pasties sounds wonderful! And that reminds me, it's been too long since I made pasties - must remedy that. I just posted a harvest "thing" from the North - I understand the best parkin was made just after the oat harvest.
Your supper sounds wonderful! And I could envision how pretty the church must have been in years past. Autumn is my favorite season. Many blessings my sweet friend! xoxo
Post a Comment