Sunday, 4 February 2018

Distractions


You know how it is when your mind is on other things?
When you should be doing practical housework-y things that you've neglected, like polishing furniture?
I do actually enjoy making our lovely antique pieces shine and glow. I always use Beeswax rather than spray polishes which contain silicone. I love the scent.


I love the scent of these Hyacinths also. Given to me as bulbs at Christmas, they had a hasty sojourn in a cupboard for a couple of weeks and then came out and have been glorious. I've already cut off three stems of blooms.

And then...distractions. 
It's a lovely sunny day, the first one for weeks. 
What's happening in the garden?
A tiny primrose popping up in the (weedy) lawn.

Some of my snowdrops. I planted one small group three or four years ago and they are spreading nicely.

A pot of Winter pansies with bulbs coming through.

Tiny Violas that bring a burst of colour.

And Tulips which were planted deep in the pot and topped with some small pansies

Furniture polishing? Another day.

14 comments:

Mary said...

My pansies are providing a warm covering for the pots of tulip bulbs also Barbara - hopefully they will soon poke through. In the beds around the house and in back natural areas, my daffs and other spring blooming bulbs are already a few inches high despite this being such an up and down winter where temps. are concerned. Feb. can be a harsh month here, who knows what's in store.

Love to have polished furniture too - must admit not done as often these days as housework often is allowed to slide - bending and kneeling being much harder/painful.
Days fly by and I'm becoming a bit of an expert in putting things off because 'there's always tomorrow' - well hopefully!

Warm hugs - hope you two are now much better.
Mary x

P.S. I can almost smell those lovely hyacinths!

Elderberry-Rob said...

I love hyacinth but hubby is allergic to their perfume so they have to stay outside. Your early spring flowers are cheery and being in a sheltered part of the uk, you have a head start on the rest of us!

Marigold Jam said...

Definitely more important to be enjoying the plants and garden - after all nobody ever said on their death bed I wish I'd done more polishing or so they say. Let's all change SHOULD to COULD and then we won't feel guilty if we do more enjoyable things more often!! I'm just back from a walk in the wood and along the lanes enjoying being in the fresh air and noticing the plants that are coming on - I did some ironing when I got back and am off now to make some soup for supper feeling grounded and settled after my 60 minutes of mindful walking so a win win situation eh?!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

So sweet to see those lovely flowers coming up,and blooming!

Angela said...

I am so glad that you have snowdrops now. I remember you saying how much you missed them when you lived in France!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

We're still having snow and ice and you're having blooms! Does beeswax get a sticky buildup? I need to try it and thanks for the nudge.

Connie said...

It looks like you're going to have a early spring, how wonderful :)
Enjoy!
Connie :)

Carolien said...

Hello Elizabeth,

What a lovely post! And yes, beeswax is the best :)

Love, Carolien

Lorrie said...

These are the very best sort of distractions. Several pots of bulbs are blooming here, too, and the snowdrops in the garden. A hopeful time of year.

Dianna said...

I agree...when the weather breaks who wants to be inside doing house-workey things? :)

Sarah said...

Your flowers are beautiful! I look forward to seeing flowers outside again. Like you I have a pink hyacinth and they are so cheerful!

Kathleen Grace said...

I don't blame you, I could easily be distracted by the garden...if I culd find it under all this snow! I just brought a pot of snowdrops in from the chicken coop today. I planted them in a pot in late fall and I hope they will bloom inside. I love snowdrops! I like the idea of planting tulips deep in a pot and then putting the pansies on top. What a great idea!

ellen b. said...

Haha! Yes, polish furniture on another day for sure. Love the promise of Spring in your garden. Lovely.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Your post gives me hope for Spring-y days somewhere down the road, even here in Canada. I have not polished my antique pieces for a while now, but one day I'll be in the mood. I love making my table tops shine with their beauty wax.

Wishing you and your husband a beautiful weekend...
Brenda xox

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...