Christ washing the feet of the Apostles, 1475.
I have written about Maundy Thursday before, but just a reminder today.
The fifth day of Holy week. The day when Jesus gave a commandment (mandate) to the disciples.
......'that you love one another as I have loved you'. John 13, v 34.
Showing His love in the humility of washing the feet of the disciples, he set an example for us all to follow, asking us never to think of ourselves as greater than another person.
Maundy Thursday, named after the Latin 'mandatum (command)' is celebrated here , with our Queen presenting Maundy purses to her pensioner subjects. As she is 91 this year, the purses will be presented to the same number of people.
These are the purses, the white one containing symbolic coins, the red one containing money for clothing and provisions.
Giving the coins is a tradition dating back to the 13th century.
It's all about showing our love, as Christ did.


4 comments:
A beautiful moment to consider...
So much to learn from our Savior.
I never knew what Maundy Thursday was about. Thank you for sharing that.
Love is the greatest commandment. Thank you for this reminder. I didn't know about the Queen giving the purses. A lovely gesture as Head of the Anglican Church.
Post a Comment