The season begins.
I plant the same tomatoes each year, variety Marmande, grown from seed. They are big and beautiful.
There's nothing quite like the feel (or the taste)of a warm tomato just picked from the stem.
Pots of Basil are a necessary extra, leaves sprinkled over slices of tomato drizzled with a little balsamic dressing, added to tomato puree and pasta sauce.
These were just the first few. Since that date I have picked on average a couple of pounds a day, just from my small greenhouse.
They are mostly processed into puree or sauce and frozen for Winter dishes.
So lovely to know that we are eating home grown food.
22 comments:
They are grand and I know you enjoy them. I just made a tomato pie today. Nothing like summer crops.
Tomatoes fresh from the vine are the best!
Love homegrown tomatoes!
oh how lovely!!! a homegrown tomato is so delicious!!! Wonderful to have puree, sauce and frozen tomatoes for the winter! I am so glad you have these! a blessing!
There's nothing better than a good home grown tomato!! Yummy
How special those first tomatoes are. I've not heard of the Marmande variety and they look juicy and tasty. Growing what one eats gives such satisfaction.
Good morning Elizabeth,
Mmmmm they look so good and tasty! Bon appetit!
Love, Carolien
Your tomatoes are gorgeous! Well done!
I may try to find a farmers market today. I'll look for tomatoes.
I hope the heat has subsided a bit and that you and your hubby are enjoying summer.
This year I grew nothing in the greenhouse because I was waiting for it to be dismantled and removed. But it's still here, and has morphed into a home for the recycling bags, several handy tools, the garden chairs and cushions, plus 3 plants I bought from Heligan gardens that needed some TLC. I miss picking my little cherry tomatoes, Sweet Peppers and Chillies though - but would prefer a shed! One greenhouse still for sale . . .
Good morning my friend....
Oh your tomatoes look delicious! I have grown them before and there is nothing like a home grown, fresh from the garden tomato! Lovely!
Isn’t it wonderful to have home grown food all ready in the freezer for winter? Enjoy!
Sending hugs your way.
I love fresh tomatoes and basil! Sounds like you have some good eating ahead. :-)
Fresh and healthy tomatoes without any chemicals...
Your tomatoes are beautiful and yes, there is nothing so satisfying as a home grown tomato. They taste like summertime :)
I love homegrown tomatoes with fresh basil!
Oh my, your tomatoes look amazing! You know, I don't like tomatoes, but I will eat fresh ones from the garden...they always taste amazing.
Hugs to you, lovely lady!
I can almost taste them! Isn't it lovely to enjoy the taste of summer in the colder months? Love, Tina (used to have The Quiet Home blog) xx
So happy to see you, dear Tina.
Those tomatos are an achievement! I tried growing them before and wasn't too successful - they are very thirsty plants. I bet with the basil they taste wonderful.
Your post made my mouth water! I adore fresh tomatoes. We have a county here in Tennessee that grows the best tomatoes. They are called Grainger tomatoes and they are superb! Enjoy yours!
Lovely. Oh, the taste and the smell of tomatoes fresh from the vine. Yum!!
Wishing you a beautiful weekend! Brenda xox
Thanks for your tip on freezing first and ten putting it into a plastic bag. I will be trying that.
Thank you so much, big hugs, xxx
Post a Comment