Sunday, 26 August 2018

A bit of patchwork


Sewing has been quite difficult for me over the last few years. My creative spirit had simply packed up and gone, maybe there were too many other things going on.
However, a friend asked if I would make her a simple wall hanging for her studio using squares.
This is the beginning.


The pretty fabric is called 'Ahoy me hearties' and is full of ocean-y things, boats, waves, whales and birds.

I'm thinking of quilting it in a wave pattern, then edging it with a tiny fillet of deep red.
I'll let you know.....

18 comments:

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Will be very pretty....cant wait to see it finished.

Elderberry-Rob said...

It's very pretty, I still treasure the embroidered seed case you made for me, such tiny, perfect stitches.

Jenny said...

I love the colors & patterns! Quilting it in waves is a beautiful idea too.

I find when I'm not able to be creative in ways that take more time I can still be creative in simple ways...arranging fresh flowers, cooking a good simple meal...& still totally enjoy what others have the time to create!

Be sure to show us your finished project.

Angela said...

That's lovely. I still treasure the quilted cushion you gave me eight years ago

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Love it already. The ocean-y theme is wonderful. Have fun!!

Connie said...

I love your quilt . . . love the mix of blues and the seaside fabrics. Happy quilting!
Connie :)

Mary said...

It's going to be so lovely - your friend will be thrilled I'm certain.
Wave quilting sounds awesome and at the red edging will bring it all together with a pop of color - what a good idea Barbara.

Know what you mean about creative spirit disappearing dear - I'm having the same problem. I look at projects I've planned and never get around to doing -
I feel pangs of guilt and hope some day my energy will return and I'll feel young and can get going again with paintbrushes and such!!!!

You do have lots to do I know keeping up with M - hope he is doing well.
Hugs to you, Mary

Anne Payne said...

The quilt hanging is lovely already, Barbara! I adore the fabrics you chose. I'll have to keep my eye out for something like that here in my area as they would look good in our home. Hope you are doing well!

Elizabethd said...

Thank you Mary. x

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That is so special, and I like your idea for the quilting and the edging!

Lorrie said...

What a lovely collection of fabrics. Your friend will be thrilled to have your handiwork hanging in her home.
The creative spirit comes and goes, I find. When I'm busy with many things, as you are with caring for your husband, there's no space in my calendar or my head for creativity. I find it thrives best when there is freedom in my days.

Quilting the piece in waves would be a lovely way to reflect the ocean theme.

Have a great week.

Lorrie

Gina said...

Elizabeth, so pretty! I love the sea scenes and tranquil colors!

ellen b. said...

Love that fabric! Have fun creating...

Jenny said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love the colors and it will be a treasure indeed! Your quilting will be lovely!
Hugs my friend!

Carolien said...

Oh that is so lovely! It looks great already :)

Have a good night & love, Carolien

Gina said...

Elizabeth, per your comment about the journals, no, not just for USA buyers. I will weigh them to see how much it would cost to ship them anywhere and charge the appropriate shipping price. The store will figure out the cost once the buyer adds their address/zip code. I'm glad you like them ♥

Lynn said...

It's beautiful. My creative spirit upped and left for a while but it's back now 😊 Love to you both.

sanpiseth40 said...

Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
หนังออนไลน์

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...