Wednesday, 15 August 2018

A tiny harvest


We have always had a Crab apple tree in our many gardens. Every year I made Crab apple jelly.
But it is only in the last year that I have planted a John Downie Crab, in a large pot, just to see what it would do.
To my delight it has produced two pounds of apples.
A very small jar, or maybe two, of jelly is waiting to be made!



I really thought my  roses had finished in the incredibly hot weather. They simply stopped flowering.
But after several showers of rain we are off again, and flowers are appearing on most of the bushes.
This is Orient Express, a rose that I brought from France and have not found here.

When the sun is shining the petals take on a beautiful glow...little circles of sunlight.
Sadly, I have a feeling that Autumn is not far away now.

8 comments:

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Nice apples, and beautiful roses....you are blessed with both!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Your beautiful roses just needed some rain and less heat! The plant was probably too stressed to put out blooms!

I've thought of planting a crabapple just because they are so beautiful in the spring and autumn! I thought I'd leave the fruit to the birds, but your jam sounds good!

elizabeth said...

what a treasure those apples and roses are!!! Yes, autumn is coming again, but after the winter, Spring always comes, so take heart...and enjoy those beautiful roses! What a treasure! Sending love from across the ocean, and a (hug) too!

Stephanie said...

Oh my, your roses are amazing! Truly beautiful, my friend.

Hugs to you!

Lorrie said...

A pot of crabapple jam on toast or scones will remind you of your harvest. Yum! Your roses are gorgeous and so full of lovely colour. Yes, autumn is coming and we must enjoy these fleeting summer days. The smoke is obscuring our skies here, but should be moving off in the next day or two. The fires continue to burn.

ann said...

My mom always made crabapple jelly. And the rose is just gorgeous. Here, the roses slow up when it heats up, as now. Nor are the blooms as large. I'll deadhead them and barring an early frost, I'll have roses into October.

ellen b. said...

Beautiful roses. Love the coloring...

Jenny said...

Ohhhh apples! We have a little apple tree in our garden and I just love it. It is just a tiny tree but every year it produces enough apples for a pie. Your rose is just lovely! I love roses, my favorite being my William Morris! Sending hugs your way.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...