Wednesday, 26 September 2018

Autumn joys


Whilst in hospital, yes that's where I ended up last week, I spent some time in childhood memories. Well, it seemed better than just watching the IV drip!
Autumn was such a lovely time. We walked several miles to our village school, and through the lanes there were carpets of scrunchy leaves to kick and scuffle around in. We threw them, we tried to get them to fly, but the best bit was making a pile and jumping in it.


Then came conker time, when the huge Horse Chestnut trees shed their shiny fruit. 
Dried, tied on a piece of string, we spent hours whacking each others' conkers to try to prove ours was the strongest.
I just like to hold them and polish their beautiful mahogany skins.

There were sloes to pick, rose hips for mother's flower arrangements, and hedges covered in Old Man's beard, which we loved to pull off and make streamers with.
Simple Autumn joys. No smart phones, no TV, just children having fun in Autumn.

24 comments:

Angela said...

Hoping you are feeling truly better very soon. Thank you for the lovely autumn memories.

Gina said...

Elizabeth, I hope that you are home now. I so enjoyed reading your childhood autumn memories. Those were the days! Hugs & prayers!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

So sorry you were in the hospital and pray you are feeling much better by now. The autumn memories were a delight.

Jenny said...

Such beautiful memories. I loved making huge piles of leaves to jump in, hayrides & roasting marshmallows over bonfires. Now that I'm all grown up fall means the beginning of the most beautiful sunrises & sunsets. I really look forward to them every year.

So sorry you were in the hospital. I do hope you're feeling better now.

elizabeth said...

those are such wonderful memories!!! thank you for sharing them and the pictures along side! I do hope you are really on the mend now - so sorry you were in hospital!!! Lord have mercy and help you! and bring comfort!!! inward and outward! much love to you!

Lorrie said...

Wonderful childhood memories. I see horse chestnuts falling here and think that I might pick them up just to experience what you've written about holding them.
I do hope and pray that you are continuing to improve in strength each day.

Marigold Jam said...

So sorry to hearr that you have been in hospital and hope you are home again now and feeling better. Yes there are many of us who can remember the same things and some of us even scuff through autumn leaves even now although jumping into pile of them might be just a memory these days! Take care and get fully well very soon.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I do hope you are okay, friend. I like hearing about your childhood memories of autumn.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you are feeling better dear friend 💜💜

Debbie Harris said...

"Just children having fun" those were certainly good days. Now it seems as if you hardly ever see children out doors playing.
I enjoyed reading of your play days, quite sweet in deed.

Bless you ~

Terri said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you landed in the hospital! Praying that you recover quickly. I'm assuming it's still the diverticulitis? I ended up being in the hospital for 4 days with it a few years ago and not eating for 3 of those days was no fun. Praying for you, Barbara!

Mary said...

This was really upsetting to hear Barbara - so sorry you were hospitalized but perhaps it was necessary to get you back on a healthy track - infections can be so debilitating. Hoping you are much, much better now dear.

Speaking of beautiful conkers - I found some under a lovely chestnut tree in Victoria BC when walking through a park - told Bob the story of our childhood 'conker fights' and actually brought one home with me (don't tell!) as we don't have horse chestnut trees here. I will hold it in my hand and recall the lovely visit to meet Lorrie and Honora.
Old Man's Beard brings back memories too of course - wish I was over there at home now, always enjoy autumn in Devon more than any other season.

Be well - hugs.
Mary X

Astrids dragon said...

I'm so sorry that you had to spend some time in the hospital, I hope you are feeling better by now.
Such lovely memories, those were wonderful times! I have plenty of memories of Devon, but all during the summer.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Hope you’re home and feeling better. When you hear of so many children travelling to any from everywhere, even school, by car, I really feel they are missing so much xx

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

So sorry to hear about your tummy troubles and hospital stay! Hoping that you feel better very soon! I very much enjoyed hearing about all your outdoor fun growing up as a child! You made me think that I need to gather some rose hips for a flower arrangement! Blessings and hugs to you!

Rambler said...

So sorry to hear you were so poorly and in hospital; I hope you are feeling stronger now.
Love your autumnal delights and coincidentally I took my 2 youngest grandchildren and my dog to Cotehele Woods recently, where we kicked and shuffled our way through all the fallen leaves. Somehow we all ended up with leaves in our hair and jacket hoods! The children were rosy-cheeked and very happy at the end of a very energetic and pleasurable afternoon. Simple pleasures costing nothing at all, but so enjoyable.

Lynn said...

Hope you are feeling much better x

Carolien said...

Oh my gosh, you ended up in hospital! I hope you feel much better now, such bad luck ... I wish you a good recovery and excellent care from the people around you.

Warm hugs, Carolien

Carolien said...

P.S. The simple autumn pleasures are the best, aren't they? This morning Valérie and I talked about it too ... the mushrooms in the forest, loooking for chestnuts, drying leaves, making an 'autumn table'. Good memories. And we still do it ;)

Hugs, Carolien

elizabeth said...

thank you for your comment on my blog, that means so much that you would pray for me, and when you have such burdens yourself. Thank you. I am going to light candles now for you and your husband by my icons and pray for you too.

Connie said...

First of all I am very sorry to hear that you are in hospital. I do hope that things are brightening up and that you are back to a better and healthier self. Your memories are beautiful. I loved playing outside and finding simple pleasures to occupy my childhood days. I look at children today and feel blessed that I was raise in simpler times. Times when children made good use of their imaginations.
God bless you.
Connie :)

Pom Pom said...

Hello dear B. I'm so glad you're better. One of our friends served in Afghanistan and he said many of the soldiers suffer from pollutant exposure manifested in the form of diverticulitis. I do have diverticula so I picked his brain about diet. When I have a flare up, I am going to avoid fiber and focus on the comfort foods (white bread/toast, yogurt, potato, canned fruit). I hope you are healing up.

bristowmom said...

You've had a rough time, I'm so sorry! Obviously I don't check in often enough since I'm just hearing the news. Hopefully by now you are better.

I always enjoy your childhood memories. Simple pleasures, simpler times.

cocoya said...


Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thanks!
casino online

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...