This is a book that I have just read.
It is very different from the usual 'romantic' novel, and I enjoyed its unusual setting.
Grace is a luthier, making violins to sell in her beautiful shop. She is world renowned for her expertise and orders flock in from around the world. The subject of her music and her musical instruments is treated in such fascinating detail, especially the description of the Cello she is entering in the Cremona festival.
There is, of course, a married man involved in her life, who is quite obviously an irritating and egotistic no-good that she adores. Somehow, although poignant, this relationship never quite took centre stage for me. More important was her interaction with her teenage shop helper and a delightful elderly man who gives her sage advice, shaking her a little out of her self imposed alone-ness.
No mistake is insurmountable, and she has made many in her life, but comes to a point where she sees that she is not as alone and isolated as she once thought.
The chapters set in Cremona are just so evocative, and I really wanted to be there.
It has been compared to another recent book, "Eleanor Oliphant is perfectly fine'', by Gail Honeyman, and is indeed about another slightly introspective woman making her way through life on her own.
Have any of you read either of the books? I'd love to know your views.

12 comments:
I've not read either of these books, but I am adding them to the list of books-to-read!
I loved Eleanor Oliphant. It is not my usual read but I couldn't put it down. I shall look out for this new book.
Hello Elizabeth, I love hearing about new writers and books I haven’t read.
I’m returning my library books and magazines tomorrow so I will see if they are available. Thank you for your recommendations.
Shane xx
Thank you for the book review and suggestion! I’m always looking for good things to read.
Thank you for the review, Elizabeth. Run, Grace, run!
I had not heard of this book! It seems that it is not yet published here in the States. I really enjoyed your book review of it and it sounds like an interesting read! :)
I esp liked this part of your review: "No mistake is insurmountable, and she has made many in her life, but comes to a point where she sees that she is not as alone and isolated as she once thought."
New to me authors/books, so I'm off to find them. Your review drew me in.
Wishing you a beautiful weekend!
Brenda xox
I have not read either but they both look like something I would enjoy on on the queue they go! Thanks for a great review!
Elizabeth, I just finished putting the touches on my autumn/winter blog. You are cordially invited! xo
http://www.mygatheringbasket.com
Interesting review Barbara! Blessings to you today!
Hello, Barbara! I haven't read either book but this one sounds intriguing. Maybe when I get caught up with my commitments, I can see if our library has one of these.
Have a blessed weekend!
Post a Comment