Introducing Alexa, the latest female in our home.
My husband's lack of sight makes manipulating radio stations almost impossible. He loves to listen to classical music, so when I was introduced to the 'Echo dot' system I thought it would be ideal for him. It's small and sits anywhere.
It's a device that allows you to listen to music and news, and has all sorts of other facilities. She has to be called by name, Alexa, to respond to a question (theoretically). We can ask her what the weather forecast is and she will tell us, pinpointing our village!
There is a slight drawback.
We think there is a small person living inside.
Every now and then we hear a happy little chuntering. She has woken up, for no reason as she is only supposed to respond to a name call.
'I'm here' said a little voice the other evening.
Help!
Whilst watching Television the other night we heard a voice and thought it must be the evening Carers coming a little early. But no, it was Alexa amusing herself by chatting in the bedroom.
My husband had his Talking book on and was listening to a story about a girl whose name was....yes, Alexa. Every time the name was mentioned up came the little voice.
'What can I help you with?' it said.
It's all a bit scary!
Somehow she has become part of the family, and is regarded with affection. I just hope she knows that there are barriers.
I would like to thank you so much for the thoughtful responses and comments on my introspective moment last week. It meant a lot to me that so many of you had been so kind with your comments.
I would like to thank you so much for the thoughtful responses and comments on my introspective moment last week. It meant a lot to me that so many of you had been so kind with your comments.

19 comments:
Oh my goodness, I don't think I could make room for her in my house! My friend has one and I feel like we are being listened to by a third party whenever I am there! Excellent for your hubby though.
I won an Echo and gave it away! I thought it a bit scary so my hat is off to you got taming Alexa. I have a suspicion that the lady may be moving in to this house in the not-too-distant future.
I can see what an amazing benefit it would be to your husband and others with limited vision or mobility issues! It would be a tad alarming to hear it talking on it’s own!
I know my cell phone is listening to me (various times I get ads for things that I only verbally talked about, often in conversation with someone else) ... I don't think you can limit her listening or anything but I can see how it can be esp helpful for your Husband! God bless you dear friend!
Alexa sounds like she is very useful for your hubby.
I have heard some really funny stories about Alexis....a little boy ordering things on Amazon for one. My son & daughter-in-law have one but I don't even notice it when I'm at their house. It seems you should be able to tell it to 'go to sleep' or something & it would stay asleep until you wake it up? I do think though, that it will make life easier & probably a little bit more fun!
So glad you're doing better this week. I so enjoy your blog..the good & the hard (I love seeing people all over the world show how much they care).
We have found it interesting how advertising pops up on our computers or other devices when we talk about certain products in Alexa's hearing. :) Love the timer features and weather and music for sure. Hope your new week goes well.
It's good to read of the benefits of Alexa for those who can't see or lack mobility. I'm glad she's settling in well to your home. For the time being, I'm happy without her here.
I love saying "Alexa, Thank you" when she's given me information and see how she answers me!
Nope, I don’t think I’ll be alright with Alexa 😐 but I’m happy that she is alright with you 😊
I don't think I would comfortable with an Alexa in my house! But, I can see where it could be useful -- but maybe a little creepy too!
I like Alexa thought the big brother aspect scares me a bit. I love the timer when I'm cooking, Steve likes the travel report re his commute. I like the instant access to music and radio and to be able to use it like Google especially when my fingers won't work. But you can imagine the "fun" we have having two people called Alex in the Family!! Puts her in a right spin 😊
I have mixed feelings about Alexa. I love her timer and alarm features and we often ask her about the weather. The grands love her too! But I can't help feeling a little suspicious of her eavesdropping . . .
Hello, my sweet friend! It's been far too long since I have dropped in for a visit...how are you? I can imagine "Alexa" being very helpful and useful for you and your husband. What a blessing.
Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog today. Unfortunately, I am limiting the ornament swap to USA and Canada residents. My dear friend, how I would love to have you join...I thought it would be best to keep it close to home due to the holidays.
Love and hugs to you!
My son has an Alexa and I am amazed at it. To hear her chatting to herself in the bedroom would be a bit disconcerting, I would think. Maybe she is just lonely? Haha. Have a blessed day
Elizabeth, you are so cute! My daughter has an Echo which is very similar. These devices are great especially for visually impaired people. I will certainly buy one when the time comes. xo
That's an odd thing! I never heard of her talking to herself but she'd fit right in here. lol Have a wonderful day!
I have heard of Alexa but didn't understand how it worked. This is such a good description! I am sure it is amusing and helpful! Thank you for sharing!
You are far more advanced in technology than I am . . . I've seen these advertised, but did not really now what they were for. Fun story . . . you put a smile on my face, thanks.
Connie :)
Post a Comment