It's Mince pie time in this household.
It's a very British habit, which we all seize on at Christmas. Mince pies are everywhere. Pop in and have a coffee with a friend, and there will be a mince pie waiting. A cup of tea? Here's a mince pie to go with it.
I do like to make my own, but there are also some very good ones in the supermarkets.
The tradition of mince pies goes back to the 13th century at least, and they were often made with meat and spices, brought back by Crusaders and explorers.
Now we only use spices and dried fruits, though suet is part of the recipe.
They are such tempting little mouthfuls, and too easy to eat!
Maybe with some Cornish clotted cream?
Yes please!
Years ago when we were visiting my son in Australia at Christmas, I tried to find a jar of mince meat in the Supermarket. After being directed to the butchery department, I managed to find a young man who knew what I wanted, and told me that the name was 'Fruit mince'.
I learn something every day!
Is the tradition spreading to other countries? Do you include Mince pies as part of your Christmas treats?
17 comments:
Mince pies are MY treat! Unbelievably, no-one else in my family likes mincemeat, Christmas Pudding or Christmas Cake.
But I love all of them, so I shall no doubt put on weight over the next 2 weeks as I sample my home-made treats. I try to spread it out, but at the end of the day, I'm not going to throw food away, am I? I shall abide by the saying - "A bit of what you fancy does you good!"
So there!
My husband does not like the citrus peel in mincemeat so I rarely make them. One year we did try Delia Smith's recipe which used dried cranberries. He liked them, but I wasn't so sure. Interested about the "fruit mince" name in Oz! X
I much prefer mince pies to Christmas cake. Delicious. Maybe I will get some clotted cream tomorrow.
Oh yes please!!
It was my dear mother-in-law Betty who introduced me to mincemeat, she was English and could bake pastries like non other.
She made pies and tarts and I now make the tarts. I like the fact that they are small, so I can enjoy one without too much guilt. :-)
My mother loves her mince meat tarts that I bake for her.
I think it's the name that turns people away from them, it did me for years.
You have me wanting one of those pies!
Have a blessed day~
Like you I love mince pies. Did you ever come across the phrase when you lived in France Je me coucherai moins bete ce soir (I will go to bed less stupid tonight) which is like our English I learn something new every day?
Yes indeed!
Yes, I shall serve them at bookclub! I am going to look for a jar of mince at the grocery store, too. I do like them and I can understand why they are tempting. I do so like English traditional customs.
We have made our own mince and pies in years gone by butnyou have to plan ahead making the mince, so i buy them now as the supermarkets have got so good at it. I havent eaten one yet... but i'm tempted!
Here in the States, I've seen the occasional mincemeat pie (full sized pie) at holiday feasts over the years but never the little tarts. Recently I bought some Walkers mini sized mincemeat tarts and adored them! Now I know what I've been missing all these years!
PS: I found them at a shop that sells items from all over the world and that stocks up on all kinds of Christmas treats from various countries. But mincemeat doesn't seem to be something most Americans care for much. I don't know why! It's delicious.
Someone else shared about mince pies lately. Dear loves Mince Pie, not mince meat pies. I should find a good jar of the mince part and treat my hubby. Your pies look delicious!
Mince pies aren't that popular where I live now but where I grew up in middle Appalachia they were more common. My brother loved mince pies & I always made one for him when I was young.
My mother always made mince tarts, but I have never developed a liking for them. My husband likes them, too, but alas, he rarely gets them anymore. A jar of mincemeat lasts for a very long time in the fridge.
Interesting variation on the name in Australia.
My husband’s mother is from Canada and she always made a ‘mock’ mince pie. Could be because they were missionaries in West Africa for many years, as well. Having to make do with ingredients etc. My husband loved her pies!
I've never had them and thought they still had meat in them! Either way, they sound delicious!!!
I don't think I've ever had meat pies before. They do look delicious!
They look so delicious! My Dad is not making any this year so I'm go try to make them on my own for the first time. Although they no longer sell it in a jar here, it's in a box and you have to add water... yuck! But I bought it and we'll see how it turns out, adding Brandy might help. I have one other shop I can try, so maybe I'll find it there.
Post a Comment