Sunday, 10 March 2019

Garden snippets

I am not a clever photographer. I take my little Canon and snap whatever I wish. Hence slightly blurred, out of focus, listing to one side pictures. 
This morning I wanted to record the things that are coming alive at the beginning of March.
Below is the crown of my lovely Pulsatilla, (Pasque flower) bought in France and growing well here. It has a cluster of flower heads and looking carefully one can just see a deep red petal. It will be a huge cushion of flower eventually.



Next, a little clump of Primroses nestling up against some pretty Pulmonaria, sent to me some years ago by Lynne. There is something so fresh and innocent about the Primrose.

This may look odd, but these are my sturdy Potato bags. So much easier for me than digging a bed. I just put four prepared potatoes in each bag, top up with compost, and wait. As the potatoes grow so I top up again. Last year I had a very good harvest from my two bags.

The first buds on my Pear tree.
We have managed to succeed with pears only once.
Maybe this year?
 Aubrietia does seem to suit a low wall and it is happy next to the Arabis.

The little daffodils are just about to finish now, but have been a blaze of colour together with my favourite primroses...again!
 And one more, a pretty pink one.


I want to be like Little Grey Rabbit and pick posies of them, and maybe make primrose wine? but I think they are just as pretty left in the flower beds.

I love the beginnings of my Spring garden.

22 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

Very pretty, I am longing to see bluebells in the woods and wild violets in my garden... I saw celandines this week on the verges, which I take to be first sign of Spring :)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Your garden cheered me this morning. We are under the weather with nasty colds here, and I enjoyed seeing your lovely blooms!

Jenny said...

Spring is always such an exciting time! It was wonderful to see your garden come alive! I am especially fond of primroses! Hugs my friend ❤️❤️

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I do love The Little Grey Rabbit! The potato bags are brilliant!

Angela said...

Pompom has said EXACTLY what I was going to say!

Lynn said...

Lovely to see your Spring garden. I bought seeds yesterday and looked at the potatoes, you inspire me to plant some.

Anne Payne said...

Such lovely flowering plants, and those potato bags are genius! I love that idea.

Rambler said...

My garden has had a rough start this year with so much rain and gales.The Hellebores, though, have been flowering since Christmas and are still going strong.
My primroses have lots of healthy leaves, but no flowers - yet.
Camellias have been a mass of colour, but now so many of the blooms have been stripped off by the strong winds - so frustrating. Like you, I have those lovely miniature daffodils in both gardens.

elizabeth said...

very beautiful flowers! I love seeing them so much! We are praying for you and yours and you are much in my thoughts!!!

Cheryl said...

Your garden is cheerful and thriving! (And ahead of ours. Our first daffodils are about to bloom.) Your potato bags seem "doable."

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Spring has appeared in your garden B and it all looks wonderful!
Primroses are favourites of mine too - I especially love that soft yellow one!
Good luck with your Pear tree and fingers crossed for fruit this year.
We’ve just had our first rain in weeks so Im hoping my garden might spring back into life.
What a great idea using potato bags - I’ll try that next Spring. We have a small vege garden which is filled with runner beans, vines of tomatoes, a large lemon tree and spinach! Good old staples!
I find just a little time spent in the garden is therapeutic - don’t you B?
xxx

Carolien said...

Your garden looks absolutely wonderful already :)

Love, Carolien

ellen b. said...

Sweet. I love seeing the promise of Spring in your garden. Love that last image, too.

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, what a sweet visit to your garden! I'm very curious about your potatoes in the bags. So interesting! xo

Jenny said...

Oh I wish primroses would grow here! We just get too hot & dry in the summer. I've bought many of them this time of year in the stores, babied them til last frost & planted them only to have them die in the summer heat.

Thanks for sharing!

Lorrie said...

Such beautiful flowers growing in your garden already. Primroses are sweet and old-fashioned. I have a few of them and they are just starting to emerge. Thanks for taking us round your pretty garden.

Connie said...

Elizabeth your flowers are beautiful. We are having snow today, but it is suppose to start warming up later this week. I enjoyed my tour of your garden, it brings hope that spring is on the way for us, too :)
Your potato bags are very interesting, I have never seen that before.
Thank you for your prayers and thoughtful blogging friendship, you are a very special lady.
Connie :)

Karen said...

Your garden is so pretty! We are still waiting for the first blooms here. Enjoy your bright flowers.

Cranberry Morning said...

Daffodils already done? Mine are under two feet of snow and won't bloom until May. Your flowers are all so pretty and cheery. I remember seeing a huge bed of primroses in Richmond, Yorkshire when we were there. I love the potato bag idea. I think I'll do that this year!

Stephanie said...

Oh, your delightful pictures have me yearning for Spring. It's a blizzard outside right now with snow supposedly falling for most of the day. My son saw a Robin the other day, but I am sure she is huddled under a tree right now :)

Enjoy the remainder of your week, dear one! Hugs!

Debbie Harris said...

Oh so fresh and delightful!
We are buried in snow right now and so very much for the middle of if Ma.

Thank you for sharing your beauty with us~

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

So lovely to see all the blooms in your garden already! I think you take great pictures :) We are waiting patiently for the very first spring blooms here, it will be a while yet. It was a long winter, and spring will take a while to warm the earth. I too adore my primroses! I just bought some and have them in my windowsill, waiting to be planted in my garden.
Enjoyed knowing that spring has come to the world, somewhere :) Blessings to you sweet friend!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...