Monday, 4 March 2019

Village moments


We have mostly lived our lives in a village situation, just a few years in a town, but escaped that as soon as possible.
Village means Community and people caring about each other. 

Playing Place, our village, is small, but has the usual shop, post office and village hall.
Each month there is a simple lunch in the Hall, for anyone in the village.  Home made soup is served, with rolls, followed by desserts, cheese and tea or coffee. You pay what ever you can.
Last month my husband had only just come out of hospital, so we knew we couldn't go.
But, there was a knock on the door, and there stood one of the ladies with a huge jug of the most delicious mushroom soup. 
That was such a kind thing to do.
Tulips brought by a local friend who thought 'I needed flowers'.

I was in the waiting room at  our local dentist in the next village about two miles away.
I watched as a Fish van drew up in the parking area, and out stepped a gentleman in blue and white striped apron. I thought maybe he was coming for an appointment.
He came in, spoke to one of the receptionists and then went out to wait by the Fish van.
A few minutes later one of the dentists hurried out to the van, chatted to the Fish seller and chose his fish. He came in carrying what looked like a bag of very nice trout.
Would you see that in a town?

15 comments:

Jenny said...

What a wonderful place to live my dear friend! It does my heart good to know that places like this do exist outside of books 🤗 I have always lived in cities where everyone comes and goes at there own pace but I too have found wonderful friends and caring people even among the business. I have always been grateful for the little acts of kindness that bring
people together and your soup and flowers are just lovely acts of kindness. I love the story about the fish too!

Sending lots of hugs and love your way❤️❤️

Mary said...

I love your village name, looked it up and found it's origin interesting. I agree with all you say regarding village as opposed to town living. I'm envious!!!! I grew up on the outskirts of Torbay - in a tiny village which has now grown a lot. Everyone knew everyone else in those post-war days, and they were helpful and kind.

See you are not far from Truro but still quite a distance by train/bus from Torbay. Won't have a car - don't drive there any longer - but will see if there's a way and enough time to come to Cornwall for a day. Would love to see you Barbara x

Carolien said...

Oh that is all so sweet ...I am grateful sometimes these things 'just' happen.

Love & prayers, Carolien

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I would love to live in a village/town like yours! It sounds so sweet and friendly. xo

mamasmercantile said...

At the opposite ends of the Country but very similar. A small village with a caring community and delivery vans fish, bread and groceries.

Cheryl said...

What a blessing to live in a place where people care so for one another!

Melanie said...

I agree that villages are the best. I haven't been able to live in one like that for a long time. Love the dentist running out to buy his fish!

ellen b. said...

Definitely not large town events for sure. How nice to be known and seen in a small village.

Debbie Harris said...

Your village would be quite lovely to live in, especially with such loving and caring people.
What a nice jester for your neighbor to bring those beautiful spring flowers to brighten your day, and that mushroom soup sounded delicious.
I trust your husband is doing well?

God bless you ♡

Astrids dragon said...

Well, you do live in Cornwall, so you've got that going for you! It sounds like a lovely place to live.

Lorrie said...

What a lovely sense of community in your village. If only there were more places like that in the world. We try to build friendships and community with our neighbours, but it can be difficult, as everyone is very busy.
Your tulips are so pretty.

Terra said...

Sweet moments in your village.

bristowmom said...

I've always lived in a city. Some with millions of people, some "only" about 200,000. I cannot even imagine a situation like yours! It sounds wonderful.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Lovely that your community are keeping you in their minds (and hearts)

French Nanny said...

We are moving into a village soon. I'll be blogging about the move once we've signed the compromis, which should be in the next two weeks.

I hope the inhabitants are as friendly as yours��

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...