Monday, 20 May 2019

A stay away.



Today my husband went into this lovely little Nursing home in Truro, for two weeks Respite care.
It's hard, as I know he does not like change, but this is somewhere he has been previously and is a small and caring Home with only thirty people.
Being in the city means that various members of the family and friends will be able to visit him.


The last three months have been hard for me, emotionally and physically, although he has no memory of his experiences in Hospital. 
We both know that I need a short time to have a break from Caring responsibilities, though I miss him already.

Happily one of the 'children' popped in to see him this evening and reported that all was well and he was enjoying supper.
He has a light and airy room on the ground floor and there seem to be plenty of caring staff, headed by Matron, one of the 'old School', I think.
I may just sleep for two weeks!

17 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Sweet dreams! Enjoy the break - and I hope your husband does too.

Sara said...

What a blessing to have this option available to you and to know he's well cared for while you rest! Enjoy your "alone" time. May it be very restful indeed, and restorative in every way. For both of you.

Rambler said...

Sit in your lovely garden while the sun shines; doze away an hour or two; wander around the shops; take a thermos of tea or coffee, a sandwich, plus a book and a canvas chair and sit by a beautiful view ; listen to the birds - or the sound of the sea. All or any of the things you can't normally do. R E L A X !

Granny Marigold said...

How wonderful that respite care is available so you can have a well-deserved break. And your husband can have a change-of-scene too. May these 2 weeks be a time of refreshment for you.

mamasmercantile said...

Take advantage of your well deserved break and have some you time to do exactly what you want, knowing that your dear husband is in good hands.

Mary said...

I wish so much I could come back and spend more time with you dear Barbara! We would skip the 'taxi shenanigans' (though it's quite a jolly memory now!), just sit in the garden with a cup of tea and have a natter. . . . . . .after you've have some good, long sleeps! M will be in our thoughts too - hoping this is a good break for both of you.
Much love and big hugs - Mary (and Bob) xx

Lynn said...

Sending all my best wishes to you both, Barbara. Hope you get lots of good sleep and rest. x

ellen b. said...

A respite is a good thing. May you be refreshed during this time. Glad your husband is being well cared for.

Judy said...

Wishing you a relaxing and refreshing time of respite. How nice to know that your hubby is being well cared for!

Anonymous said...

Dear Barbara, I am glad that you have a chance to rest and re-energize! Though your husband is in excellent hands, I know it must be hard for you to not be together. Praying for refreshment for you both!

Lorrie said...

May your break be restful and re-energize you. I'm certain that you are a wonderful care giver to your husband, and recognizing that you need respite is part of that, too. I'm glad you can relax knowing that your husband is well cared for.

Carolien said...

Dear Barbara,

There's a card coming your way, maybe it has arrived already. Now I read this ... please have a good resting time. Big hugs and love, Carolien

Elderberry-Rob said...

Enjoy the rest, hope you don't feel guilty, you shouldn't. It will be so lovely for you to have quiet time for yourself. Hubby will enjoy the stimulus of having new people around him and you will both have new things to talk about.

Connie said...

Dear Sweet Barbara, I know that you will be missing him but this is a time for you to get some rest. You and your husband are in my prayers. God bless you.
Connie

Cheryl said...

I hope that you are getting the rest you so dearly need! Praying for you both . . .

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I hope your time away has been restful and restoring in every way. And that your hubby enjoyed his respite stay while you were away.

Sending love and a big hug,
Brenda xox

Astrids dragon said...

It sounds like a win for everyone! You get a break and some rest, and he's in a lovely place where friends and family can visit him.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...