We spend hours watching our small garden birds feeding on the lawn.
We have Goldfinch, Bluetits, Greenfinch, Blackcaps, Chaffinch and Sparrows.
At the moment there are lots of little baby birds, gathering to be fed by their parents. They are so very trusting.
But this creature........
.... is a Sparrowhawk, who dared to swoop down to the grass by the feeder, and snatched a baby Sparrow feeding on the grass. As he landed he glared arrogantly through the window at us. You could feel his power through the piercing eyes.
It was very upsetting.
But that's Nature, I suppose.

19 comments:
It's like that Hawk is challenging you...
" So, what are going to do about it?"
What a sight. That is quite the photo.
Good morning Barbara,
Yes, that is nature, hard but beautiful as well. Some years ago I went to a show of birds of prey, against my will to be honest. After the show I was fascinated by these 'free' birds. The show was in a ruin of a castle close to Lourdes. Maybe I have even shown pictures of it on my blog ... Last year we went to see them again. And when we walk in The Pyrénées we love to watch them, sailing in the air ...
I hope mom sparrow still has other kids to tend to.
Have a good day & love, Carolien
That's exactly how it felt!
I love raptors of all kinds, unfortunately they are meat eaters and it must have been horrible to see the sparrowhawk take the baby bird, But as you say, that's nature.
Diana
yes nature can be cruel. I have decided to stop putting food out from tomorrow because the squirrels and crow take everything as soon as it goes out and chase the small birds away, and now even the wood pigeons have stopped coming. The crow is very bold and will stand staring at me not two feet from him when I water my plants. I think these big creatures can feed themselves very well and dont need my help. I have given up with bird seed feeders as the squirrels literally take them down and either bite into them to get the seed or even run off with them!
p.s. how fabulous though to see a sparrow hawk that close. I think being passive observers is all we can be :)
What a great capture of the hawk. He does look intimidating and oh, so fierce. Nature is often cruel. We enjoy watching birds from our window, too and have lately observed lots of little ones being fed by their parents.
Wow! What an amazing creature!
Sorry, Lorrie, it isnt my photo. I was too stunned to reach for the camera!
Its hard to watch the 'circle of life' sometimes.
I have never understood Sparrow Hawks; I understand other Hawks that eat mice and other small animals, but a bird eating another bird has always seemed strange to me.
oh that would be upsetting!!! sending you a HUG
I know they have to eat, but I do feel bad for the one being eaten. Especially partaking right in front of eyes. I always feel disjointed afterwards.
But enjoying nature and watching the fledglings so trustingly, as you say, for lunch is pure joy.
Wishing you a beautiful day!
Brenda xox
Hi Barbara - I'm home at last and will be getting down to 'home type business' after so much gallivanting!!!
Our birds are naughty too - but of course it's all part of Nature, survival of the fittest etc. I wrote about my House wrens today - am sure they will be fledging soon - and as much as they are actually not very nice birds when grown, I would hate to see the little babies hurt, so wish them all safe flights from the nest box.
Hope all well with you and M.
Mary X
Hello, I enjoy watching my garden birds. Your Sparrowhawk is a beautiful bird. Great photo. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead!
I think mt empathy is too strong in these things. I know it has to happen but it is a shock to see it. I would probably brood about it a lot longer than the baby sparrow did!
Oh wow. Poor baby Sparrow! I've never heard of a Sparrowhawk but he sure does look mighty. We have big mean Cowbirds but they don't snatch the babies off the ground. They are bad about destroying a nest though.
Wildlife in the raw is harsh and upsetting.
It’s amazing to see a hawk in suburbia - here I’ve only seen them in the countryside.
The law of the jungle is survival of the fittest… sad for the baby sparrow.
Post a Comment