Monday, 26 August 2019

And then there were three...


This is the time when I make apple jelly. I decided to make less this year as there was still some left from last year.
So made just half a dozen jars using the few Crab apples on my little tree, and windfalls from the Apple tree.

The jars were pounced on by members of my family.
Of course!
This is a time when I recall my dear Grandmother who faithfully made Apple jelly each year. We used to be given a thin slice of brown bread with jelly on it at tea time. Delicious!
I have never been able to cut the wafer thin slices of bread that Grandma managed. She was an extraordinary person.

16 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

I was jam making yesterday too only I made hedgerow spread - a mix of hedgerow berries like sloes, blacjberies, elderberries, rosehips, hawthorne berries etc cooked and then sieved before adding the sugar very labour intensive but the trip to gather the ingredients yesterday morning was perfect - peaceful and quiet. I now have 6 jars of the stuff some to give as gifts and some for me (Mr M doesn't care for it!)

Deanna Rabe said...

What a delightful gift and memory of your grandmother!

elizabeth said...

oh that is so lovely!!! such jams and jelly are so wonderful!!! Your Grandmother reminds me of the Miss Read books, with the wonderful Miss Clare who had the cakes, tea sandwiches and wonderful sparkling white table cloth! What a wonderful art ones like your Grandmother and Miss Read's Miss Clare had and embodied! a HUG and love to you!

Angela said...

My gran buttered the cut side of the loaf first, then clutched it to her chest. She then sliced the thinnest slice of bread, wielding the knife towards her body. I was convinced every time that she would injure herself!

Mary said...

Grandmothers are special. The memories of things they did for us when children were some of the best happenings in life. I only had mine until I was 11 but I recall all the good times we shared, including riding down to Plymouth on the green double decker one summer day. She sat on a garden bench on the Hoe whilst I played and explored. Those really were the days I loved.
Your Apple Jelly looks so pretty and I bet tastes wonderful Barbara.
I only made fig jam this year - and fewer jars as, like you, I have some still from last year.
Mary X

Dianna said...

Your jelly is beautiful! It's a shame to have it eaten so soon since it's so pretty, but I suppose it's delicious as well. :)

Lorrie said...

Apple jelly is something I might try this year as we have an abundance of apples on our trees. Your grandmother sounds like a lovely and accomplished woman. Those jelly jars look like jewels.

Terri said...

I made jelly today too. What a pretty color yours makes!

ellen b. said...

Glad you can carry on a tradition to enjoy. Nice memories of your grandmother.

Sarah said...

Your apple jelly looks lovely! Your family's enthusiasm made me smile. The jelly must be delicious. : )

Mrs. White said...

Your apple jelly looks lovely in the jars. It is wonderful that you have a precious memory to go with it!

Cheryl said...

That is a sweet family tradition! If it tastes as good as it looks, no wonder everyone was pouncing! :)

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

That sounds delicious, apple jelly on wafer thin bread. A lovely memory of your grandmother.

Linda said...

I love Apple Jelly !! yours looks a beautiful colour and the jars look so pretty too. I only ever made apple jelly one time many years ago. I think my yield was about three jars :) I didn't use Crab Apples, I think they were Sturmer apples, but I do remember it had the most delicate flavour :) .

Anonymous said...

Barbara, what sweet memories of your grandmother! Weren't they remarkable? Your apple jelly will taste wonderful on any size slice of bread! xo

Phoebes World said...

Lovely...Apple Jelly is on my list too.
My grandmother was a champion bread cutter too. It was amazing watching her hold the loaf to her chest and quickly slicing towards her...like a hot knife through butter.
Phoebe x

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...