Isn't this pretty?
I was given this Christmas cactus by an elderly lady who had won it in a raffle, and decided that I should have it.
It was such a surprise.
I have never had one before but admired them on other windowsills.
Its proper name is Schlumbergera, but I think Christmas cactus suits it better.
It seems to have a lot of buds, and I've looked up on a website as to how it needs to be treated.
A friend said airily 'Oh, it's bomb proof, you don't need to worry about it'.
I hope she's right!
Thank you for your kind good wishes. The virus turned out to be much nastier than I had expected, but I'm gradually recovering, though I dare not drive at the moment as the light headedness sometimes returns. I'm slowly getting the house ready for Christmas, a wreath on the front door, my little Christmas tree decorated....little by little.
19 comments:
I had one which lasted about 6 years (amazing, considering my usual lack of skill with plants) so I'm confident yours will flourish year on year.
I'm so glad to read that you feeling better, Barbara. It does take awhile to get over these things. Little by little for Christmas preparations is a good plan.
Love your Christmas Cactus. Mine isn't doing very well - it had a few blooms in November and will likely have a few in February. Seems to be off kilter.
Happy Christmas Cactus! It is beautiful, and a wonderful gift. Glad you are feeling better
oh what a kind and cheery gift! a Christmas cactus! So nice!! I am glad you are being careful and that recovery is happening,even if not as fast as one wishes!!! God bless you dear one and your beloved Husband too!
It's good to hear you're feeling better.
I hope your Christmas Cactus will bloom for a few weeks at least then probably need a long long rest. It was nice of your friend to give it to you.
what a nice gesture, and it's gone to a green fingered loving home so is bound to thrive! Nice to see you are getting better and feel well enough to get some decorations up, hope you will be 100% soon.
Glad to hear that you are on the mend and hope you will soon be fully recovered. Your friend is right about the cactus being bomb prooff I have one which is huge now that we bought with a voucher given to us on our first married Christmas back in 1972! It has travelled with us to France and back and moved house several times. I also have another one given to me by a friend in France which I have to trim back as I don't have room for two huge ones! A little neglect will not harm it!
Love your Christmas! I have a pink one and a white one, and they're budding but not blooming just yet. One year I had them in a drafty place where the heat pump vent blew, but they didn't like it and refused to bloom.
Hope yours lasts for years and years. :)
Christmas Cactus, I meant to say. :D
I'm glad to read you are on the mend. Your Christmas Cactus is so pretty and it matched your pretty blog design, too!
That is a lovely gift! Praying that you continue to recover . . .
Your friend is better than me! I can never keep them alive. My mother had a beautiful one that rebloomed every year but I did not inherit her talent.
I noticed the amaryllis bulbs ready to bloom in the stores last week & think I may give in & buy one. I love growing those then planting them in my garden. They bloom in the summer once they're in the ground here.
Hello Barbara,
I am happy you are slowly feeling better ...
The cactus is beautiful. I was told lately that you don't need to'neglect' watering the cactus after flowering. Most people do so and think it's the right way to treat the plant, but I was told you shouldn't let it dry out but water it like you do normal plants. Once or twice a week, he said. Sofia has planted few 'baby lids' for me and when I get them I will find it out too (I hope ;)
Have a good week & love Carolien
We have two Christmas cactuses, one already blooming before the end of December. It's always such a delight to see them mark the beginning of the Christmas season. And ours tend to bloom again around Easter as well. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Christmas Blessings to you and your husband
Hi Barbara
Hope you are on the mend. We too have caught this bug, chest infection (Steve)and perforated ear drums(me). Added to last month's TIA. Couldn't make it up!!
Anyhow your plant is very tough. Mine survived over 10 years and was dropped and broken many times by a clumsy cleaner we had who was lovely and a very good cleaner but she dropped things!
It likes slightly moist soil but not sitting in water and it hates direct sunlight which makes the green leaves change to a dirty red. They grow really big. I sometimes got a second flush of flowers too. In fact, when I'm up and about again I think I'm going to buy another one!
How wonderful and it looks so pretty in your sunny window. A lovely plant for a lovely lady.
Your Christmas cactus is so pretty, and healthy. My sister gave me a starter from one of hers a couple of years ago and (so far) it's doing well. Most of the time it lives on the porch, but when the temperature dropped I brought it inside, and it's blooming ! I hope yours gives you lots of Christmas cheer in the days ahead...
Blessings, Linda
Glad to hear you are returning to good health. I definitely am one who needs bomb proof indoor plants! That's a beautiful healthy looking Christmas Cactus!
Hope that you are feeling much better now! Christmas cacti are lovely, they can grow quite big as well. I might add one to my plant collection. x
Post a Comment