Sunday, 5 January 2020

The beginnings.

Little green shoots, clustered together to keep warm, delicately raising their heads above the undergrowth.
At last, could it be that Spring might come?
For me, it is such feeling of hope, or looking forward to a new and more welcome season. We have some months to go yet, but this is the beginning. Soon daffodils will be followed by shy snowdrops, blue grape hyacinths and later, tulips.

Daffodils, in Cornwall , are a much prized flower and sold all over England.

This is one of our local daffodil farms near Truro, where the daffodils are picked whilst still in bud, and sent off to markets or to private buyers. Soon there will be fields of gold, from here to the Scilly Isles where many varieties are grown
It's lovely to send a friend or family member a little bunch of gold even before the flowers are open in gardens.

And here they are.
I wish I could send them to you all!

22 comments:

Angela said...

Daffodils are Spring's golden trumpets proclaiming hope and joy. How lovely to live near fields clothed in their golden beauty!

Pom Pom said...

So lovely! Tulips, too!
It's a long while until our dafs appear, but they are so welcome!

Granny Marigold said...

Spring flowers make me so happy!! It will be a while until we have any blooming outside, but just this morning I treated myself to a Hyacinth still in bud, at the grocery store. I hope it turns out to be a purple one. That's my favourite colour for Hyacinths.

Frugally challenged said...

I think you've inspired me to you and look in my own garden.

Marigold Jam said...

I know just what you mean and we have them along our roadsides from now onward for several months with different varieties flowering as each one dies back. I is really heartneing isn't it?

elizabeth said...

oh that is really beautiful!! Yes, it does give one hope! you and your Husband have been on my mind, I Hope all is well. love and prayers !!!

Linda Baker said...

So pretty! I've lots of treasured memories of picking daffodils on my Grandmother's farm.

Lorrie said...

Thank you for the virtual bouquets of daffodils. We live in a daffodil growing area and I always feel sorry for the workers who often pick in dreadful weather. I noticed a few clumps of bluebell stems poking up in my garden this week. A sign of hope, indeed!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Daffodils were in Waitrose on New Year's Eve. My mother lived in Wales, they bloom early there, so I suspect that's where they were from - I am hoping to see those little miniature narcissus in the shops soon, they are my favourite early flowers.

mamasmercantile said...

I think you have seeing the photos were a gift, such beauty.

Mary said...

Yes, after this warm spell here over the holidays, my green shoots (bluebells and daffs) are peeping from the leafmold cover of the garden. With all the horrendous news from around the planet, little moments of garden joy and seeing life starting over again outside the windows really are special.

Dear Barbara - thanks for sharing these always beautiful shades of gold and yellow - they are making me smile on this cold Monday morning.

Rambler said...

Ever since we moved to Cornwall, my middle son has always treated me to a box of the sweetly perfumed early narcissus from one of the Cornish growers. They still came, even when he was working in Afghanistan, Syria and other war zones. Now he lives in Turkey - and on Christmas Eve, 100 stems of narcissus in bud arrived at my door. Their sweet fragrance filled the house all over Christmas. xx

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh my!! Daffodils peaking through already? No chance of that here. Although it's mild at present 'they' are warning that cold is returning to Alberta which guarantees daffies and tulips will do well to keep hidden deep in the soil for several months yet.

So glad you shared pictures so we could dream and enjoy them with you.

Happy New Year, dear Barbara!
Brenda xox

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

Very pretty! It's always so exciting to see the first flowers poking through the soil.

Ann said...

The daffodils are just so pretty and my favorite. Ours are months away, so thanks for sharing yours. Happy New Year, Elizabeth

Carolien said...

Daffodils! They were the favourite flowers of my mother, so they are a bit my favourites too ;) A few years ago Sofia gave me a pretty coffee mug with daffodils on it because she knew this, so sweet ...
In my garden I see the first tiny leaves of the crocuses I planted last autumn popping up. Also a hopeful sign!

Love, Carolien

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Oh thank you for that beautiful bouquet of yellow sunshine Barbara! How they cheered my heart today, when it is rainy and drippy and all the beautiful snow is melting! I pray soon comes quite soon for you in all its magnificent beauties!

Rambler said...

I'm loving the wintry photograph of Lanreath at the bottom of the page, Barbara. It's one of my favourite places to walk and the grandchildren love to cross the river via the stepping stones before playing in the woods.

Elizabethd said...

Thanks Rosie, I thought it was a beautiful photo too, although I haven't been there.

Connie said...

A golden hope of Spring . . . I love it:)

ellen b. said...

Daffodils are such a happy flower. So sweet that they are one of the first to bloom to welcome Spring!

Anne Payne said...

I love Daffodils!!! I grew a lot of them in NC but none will grow here in my VA yard. Too much water. :(

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...