Friday, 24 July 2020

Dahlia delights

I am so enjoying my newish relationship with Dahlias.
I've only grown them in the last couple of years and don't know why I hadn't taken the plunge earlier.
This amazing lady is called Labyrinth,
and Sarah Raven compares her to the Queen Mother's hats!
I rather agree with her.
Because I'm so new at this I put her in the wrong position at the back tof the bed, but next year she will move forward.
Here she is next to Roxy, an old favourite, in fact the first Dahlia I tried.

I am hoping for interesting things from this one, called Cafe au Lait and apparently having flowers the size of a tea plate.
We'll see what happens as she grows. She is much taller than the average Dahlia.

I have such pleasure from this lovely rose, a French one called Pierre de Ronsard.
It grew over an arch in my garden in France and I'm so happy to have it here.

So, just a few pictures from my garden, which seems to be approaching Autumn rapidly.

14 comments:

Eileen T said...

I like the rose. Does it have a long flowering season?

Deanna Rabe said...

So beautiful! What lovely dahlias and roses! I've never grown dahlias but you are making me want too!

mamasmercantile said...

The dahlias are a delight, something that I love and yet have never grown. Such beautiful colours.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Ooooo... these are so beautiful, Barbara! I love the Labyrinth - I certainly agree with Sarah Raven's perfect comparison of this blossom to the Queen Mother's hats. Cafe au Lait is going to be a beauty, too, once she takes off. How lovely to have a bit of France in your garden with the Pierre de Ronsard rose. She is certainly a stunner. It's hard to image that we're already nearing the end of July, which around here in Alberta, means Autumn isn't so far away anymore. I keep shoving that thought to the back of the cupboard though. I'm not ready at all for the 'A' word. :) Wishing you a beautiful, summery weekend. Sending loving thoughts your way, Brenda xo

ellen b. said...

The Labyrinth is really something special for sure. So pretty. Your garden looks lovely. Happy weekend to you.

Lynn said...

Beautiful. I love your garden. I have never had much luck with dahlias which is a shame because we both love them. I agree that our gardens are beginning to have an almost Autumnal feel. On the way home last week I even saw someone picking blackberries along the roadside. Blackberries in July!

Granny Marigold said...

Your Dahlias are delightful!! I wonder if you can leave them in the ground over winter or if not, where do you store them?

Lorrie said...

Your flowers are beautiful, Barbara! I love the description of Labyrinth as resembling the Queen Mother's hats. That made me smile. I had Cafe au Lait last year and it's beautiful, with rather large blooms in such wonderful creamy shades. Alas, all of my dahlias rotted over the winter - I had stored them in vermiculite in the shed, but perhaps they froze. The Pierre de Ronsard rose is a beauty and a lovely remembrance of your years in France. Isn't it a delight to wander in the garden just now and see all the beauty there? Happy weekend!

Elderberry-Rob said...

what beautiful flowers Barbara, I love the way dahlias hold rain drops, some are so detailed, like ruched fabric, I have never grown any, my grandma was an expert and had a large patch for 'showing' there are so many varieties. If I get more space one day I would love to grow rows of them.

crafty cat corner said...

I think Dahlias are really beautiful flowers and not that hard to grow, I can't understand why we don't see more of them. My Dad used to grow so many different varieties and keep the tubers under the bed. lol
Briony
x

Terri said...

Your garden is beautiful. I love dahlias!

Jackie said...

Your garden is beautiful. I planted dahlias for the first time this year. They are just forming blossoms now. I can hardly wait to see them.

God bless.

Cheryl said...

I love your dahlias . . . so many pretty colors and what a show!

Anne Payne said...

I'm late making my blog rounds. Your garden is inspiring and uplifting!!! I love all your beautiful flowers. Hope you are well, my friend!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...