Windfall apples are dropping.
Some are usable, some are too far gone.
Soon I will be preparing apple slices and stewed apples for the freezer.
Today I made a 'French Apple Cake' which is deliciously light.It is good warm (with cream!)or cold.
Then this morning I finished making the Crab Apple jelly that I started yesterday.
Some of you may remember that this is an annual event from way back when we had a large tree.
Now I just have a newish tree which nevertheless gave me two and a half pounds of apples.
That has made five little jars of jelly which we shall enjoy so much through the Winter.
The next project is looming. The Marmande tomatoes are beginning to ripen.
One of them weighed over a pound!
They make wonderful tomato sauce for the freezer, skinned and chopped, with shallots, a little garlic and basil,
tomato paste and a little water.
We have only just finished the last block from the freezer, delicious with pasta.
Quite a productive week.
I love having our own produce to store. Was I a squirrel in a former life?
13 comments:
Lovely to read about your harvest!
I love reading about your garden and the food you make!!! I hope one day we can do this too! (we have no land)... God bless you! (ps: still praying for you and Husband!)
Your crabapple jelly is so pretty - don't think I've ever had any but I know it must be delicious.
The cake looks yummy - I think I'll make my French apple cake recipe this week as I have two large apples looking at me from the fruit basket - plus we really have nothing hanging around for dessert/tea time.
Thanks for sharing your great garden harvest.
The apple cake looks delicious and the jelly is a lovely colour, I imagine it's very light. We have Marmande tomatoes growing for the first time, green at the moment - very expensive in the shops:) I noticed your blue chinaware, very pretty. Hope you're not finding the heat too much.
Hello Elizabeth. It's always so nice see you at the dollhouse. I have really neglected the Garden Spot. It got to where my posts were always so repetitive. Your posts over the summer show such lovely flowers. We lost our apple crop this year with a hard spring freeze. I am sure that you will enjoy your hard work all winter as you enjoy your harvest. Stay well, dear friend.
The crabapple jelly has such pretty colour. The apple cake looks delicious. We usually go apple picking in late summer. Checked and that place opens for U-pick on the 18th of this month.
Wow. I'm impressed with your productivity and the variety of good things! That cake does look good. Hope this new week is starting well for you!
I love my tomatoes made into sauce and I would much rather have my own tomatoes frozen than buy canned.
Your cake looks lovely.
God bless.
I think we all have those squirrel tendencies to put away food for the coming winter. Your jars of jelly look delicious, as does that Apple Cake. I've been sauteeing zucchini to freeze in containers for side dishes throughout the winter. Tomatoes have been dismal this year - everyone is waiting for them to ripen - we've had a cool summer and they are SO SLOW! Your tomatoes look WONDERFUL!
Lovely late summer produce and activities. It is good and wise to prepare for winter, and you will get to enjoy the flavors that you and your husband like. What a delightful gift!
Wonderful summer eating! Your crab apple jam looks yummy as does that tempting apple cake!
I would venture to say, I bet that crab apple jam is delicious!! AND, the cake looks delicious too. I would love to have a piece with my coffee this morning.
Your apple jelly looks so pretty in those little jars. And the apple cake, oh my! it sounds scrumptious! There is something lovely about knowing summer provender has been squirreled away for another day down the road. Maybe it's the feeling of being prepared?
Post a Comment