Autumn gardening
I so wish I was a clever technological person.
My new camera arrived, just a simple Canon Ixus, and is all set up and ready to go. Despite my laptop grumpily telling me that it didnt recognice this device, it is actually on there. However, the last step eludes me, the transferring of photos to laptop. Every time I try, there is a blank screen before me, and I can feel the laptop shrugging and saying 'told you so'.
What I need is my clever son, but visiting isn't sensible right now. So I shall go on trying to make sense of the Canon instruction handbook and wishing they didn't use such long words.
This week in the garden has been one of cutting back and digging up.
This is a photo from June this year, when I had just planted the pots. The Geraniums grew, the Petunias tumbled over the edges and it looked beautiful.
Now my lovely Summer flowering pots are empty. The Geraniums are tucked up in the greenhouse, and the Petunias are finished. Pots of flowering plants have been a continuing joy.
Climbing roses have been pruned, not too heavily just yet, but enough to deter them from clambering over the fence into next door's garden.
Perennials are fading now. Annuals have been pulled out.But still my Dahlias are blooming enthusiastically and give so much pleasure. Watching Gardeners World last night I admired Monty's huge clumps of Dahlias, and wondered if mine would ever grow up to be so beautiful.
There is always so much to do in the garden this season, if only the weather would help.

17 comments:
To transfer the photos, connect the camera to the laptop using the usb cable, switch the camera on and you should see a prompt window asking what you want to do. Select 'download' and it should import images from camera to laptop.
Good luck.
Happy New Camera!
It surprises me in this chilly weather how some flowers perk up.
Your garden always looks lovely.
I know how you feel, Barbara, about the new camera. My learning curve with new tech stuff is usually frustrating at the beginning, and then one day, suddenly it clicks and I get it. So I hope your 'got it' day arrives soon! Or maybe online advice from your son will sort out that last bit that isn't working.
Our garden still is looking quite nice, but next week the frosts are expected to hit in earnest, so this weekend we're putting away pots and getting the summer things sorted and put away in our garage. Except for the Peace Rose, we don't over winter anything tender. Perennials die back in the garden and all the annuals will die once the frost hits. Then we pull them for the compost. We've had a lovely garden this past summer, and it's a little sad to say goodbye, but it now feels time for a rest for them and us.
Wishing you a lovely weekend....
Brenda xo
I hope you find a solution soon. Bloggers always have some good info/hints to share. Your Fall garden looks so pleasant. We are getting freezing temps next week and it's time for me to clear out the beds here. Hope you are having a nice weekend.
Hoping you get the camera issue sorted. New Tech can be such a pain sometime. There are a couple of gardens near me with the most beautiful dahlias. Such lovely flowers!
I'm still waiting for the prompt window to appear.
My flowering pots did really well This year. I grew tomatoes for the first time in decades And I also had a bumper crop. Hanging baskets are just about hanging on but I have made a start on emptying my pots and refilling with pansies, ornamental cabbages and multi coloured heathers.hugs
ValeryAnne.
You have such beautiful flowers, Barbara. Such a green thumb! I hope you get your camera/laptop woes figured out Technology is great when it works.
Your flowers are beautiful, it is easy to see that they are loved. I was thinking as I read about your camera problem and thinking that you might try to type in your model number and your problem into You Tube. It's worth a try :) You tube has helped me in so many ways. I even changed the oil and oil filter in our tractor all by myself this spring, because I watched a You Tube video and it showed me how :)
Everything looks so neat and pretty. Next week we hope to get to start cleaning up our yards for the Fall and winter months. It's been HOT and we've had fires and smoke and unhealthy air.
You certainly had pots of lovely flowers this Summer and it's nice that your Dahlias are continuing to bloom for your enjoyment.
Our beautiful Autumn weather has changed to wind and rain ( so much so that during the night water actually seeped into the basement. Not good at all).
I love Monty’s dahlias. He makes me think I could grow them. Your garden has looked lovely this year and it will look lovely again next year.
May I suggest you try looking on YouTube for a tutorial for your camera? They have every kind of tutorial On there and it’s very helpful.
This is the time for garden cleanup in many places. This morning Tim pulled all the tomato plants, trimmed the raspberries, and cut the grapevines to nubs.
New technology is always something I dread learning. Deanna has a good idea about looking online for a tutorial.
Enjoy your weekend and I hope the dahlias give you many more beautiful blooms.
when you plug in to the laptop, your camera should ask for permission and may be waiting for you to confirm it can connect to the laptop. You might find a camera shop helpful over the phone but also if you look on You Tube there might be a tutorial to help you. Good luck.
Instead of waiting for the prompt window to appear, try connecting the camera, switch it on and then open up the software on your laptop manually. There should be an option to transfer/import from camera. It may be under one of the menus if there isn't an obvious button to do it.
Hopefully you will get the hang of it all soon. Beautiful flowers.
Post a Comment