Saturday, 14 November 2020

Tulip planting. 

This week it was time for Tulip planting.

I had bought some bulbs from Sarah Raven, as I have done in the past. I've always found them to be good value. This is the Venetian collection.



In went the first layer.


Then a layer of compost, followed by another layer of bulbs. Sarah calls this  'the Lasagne method'


They are covered up and will stay there till Spring.

The colours should be quite lovely.


I'm having a bit of fun, a little competition, with a friend in Herefordshire, an avid gardener. They have half of the pack of bulbs and planted them on the same day as mine. We're going to see whose come up first. As they have already had frosts hard enough to attack their Dahlias, I wonder if mine might be the first to appear?

Thank you for the many enquiries about my medical tests. The Covid was negative, and I'm waiting for the results of the other pulmonary related ones. No news is good news!

18 comments:

Deanna Rabe said...

So beautiful! I want to do this too!

ellen b. said...

I think I could manage something like this.

Granny Marigold said...

The "lasagna method" of planting bulbs should result in quite a show. I look forward to seeing the results next Spring.

Frugally challenged said...

Those colours are glorious, very opulent!

Angela said...

Looking forwards to seeing the tulips in the Spring. So glad the covid19 test was negative

mamasmercantile said...

Thrilled the Covid test was negative. It will make a beautiful display come Spring.

Elderberry-Rob said...

this is interesting, I am looking forward to seeing how your tulips look in spring, I haven't tried layering like this. Glad your covid test was negative. Stay safe.

Mary said...

I'm getting lazy and haven't planted up my pots yet. I do them them that way too - need to go to the garden center and find tulips - have left it too late to order like I usually do. I cover my pots with garden mesh otherwise the dastardly squirrels come and dig them up!
Mary x

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
elizabeth said...

I am sure that this will be very beautiful! What a fun contest between friends! Glad that the COVID test was negative and still praying for you and your Husband ❤🙏🕯

Jackie said...

I am so glad the tests were negative for Covid, keeping my fingers crossed that the other tests come back okay.

I can hardly wait to see whose bulbs come up first. Friendly competition is always a welcome change.

God bless.

Glad the letter made it to you.

Carolien said...

Oh! I am happy the test was negative!!! Yes, let's hope the other ones are okay too.
Love your bulbs, good luck with the contest ;)

Love, Carolien

Cheryl said...

You will have a beautiful pot of cheer next spring, thanks to your autumn effort! Thankful that your Covid test was negative. Now to wait for the other . . .

Alex said...

Oh my goodness, what gorgeous colours. I would bet you will beat your friend by quite a long way!
So good your test was negative.

Sandi said...

Gorgeous!

Pom Pom said...

Oh, how lovely! I like the way you describe the way you plant bulbs. I will cheer for you, hoping yours come up first! I'm glad you are well.

Terra said...

That is a brilliant way to plant tulips, and it will protect them from gophers, so it is doubly good.

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I am glad that your Covid test was negative and I pray the other tests return with results that will please you. I do love tulips and it won't be long before yours are blooming!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...