Sunday, 18 April 2021

Tulip collections

 Tulips planted back in November are showing off beautifully now. I bought three 'collections' from my favourite grower and each one is very different. Each contains three or four types of  bulb. The Renoir collection has parrot tulips which I've decided I don't care for too much.


The Parrot tulip looks as though it's not quite sure what it should be.


The Venetian collection is more sombre and evokes a very Venetian feel, recalling velvet fabrics and gold jewellery.



Below is the Tulips with Pizazz collection. They are mainly bright oranges, yellows and reds, very cheerful.

By the end of May, they will be over and it will be time to plant the pots with Summer plants. Summer! The year is already rolling on too quickly.


15 comments:

Angela said...

These are gorgeous. I agree about the Parrots, but love the opulence of the Venetians. Hope you are feeling brighter now. Much love x

Jackie said...

Just gorgeous. Love the colours. I wonder if I could grow tulips in pots...Need to check that out.

God bless.

Granny Marigold said...

The tulips I planted in pots last Autumn are also blooming now and I'm pleased with them Yours are lovely although I agree about Parrot Tulips. I find them a bit contorted.

Elderberry-Rob said...

beautiful, I like the pizazz ones and agree with you about the parrots. They never grow for me I probably plant them to deep.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The Pizazz collection has a nice petal shape and display. Parots tulips are beautiful in still life paintings, more so than in person. The Venetian is a nice color palette for a summer garden.
The last frost day here in Vermont isn't until the end of April and into May. With the cooler weather and snow storm last week (higher elevations), I'm leaning toward into May to plant summer bulbs.

ellen b. said...

Such a lovely collection. Fun names for the collections, too. Hope you have a good week.

Mary said...

Hi Barbara -
Tulips are so gorgeous, I love them all but have to admit that your Renoir collection and the parrot tulips are my favorite!!! I grow them in pots too.

The bike shed said...

I adore tulips - almost my favourite flower. There was lady near where we lived who planted hundreds in the roadside verges as an act of philanthropy - everyone in the community loved it.

Pom Pom said...

Lovely tulips! Parrot tulips ARE funny!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a splash out of colour! Your spirits must lift whenever you see those lovely pots of tulips.

Catherine said...

I love parrot tulips very much.
The colours of your tulips are beautiful especially the Venetian ones.

Carolien said...

Your tulips are stunning, Barbara! Love them.
Still no appointment for the surgery, I guess ...

Take care and have a good weekend!
Love Carolien

Cheryl said...

Your tulips are such cheerful and beautiful flowers! They make wonderful pots! I smiled at your description of the parrot tulips. :) I think they are my least favorite tulip variety also. (But I think I could love them if I don't think of them as tulips?)

Connie said...

Your tulips are beautiful . . . one of my very favorite flowers. I just wish they lasted longer :)
Thank you so much for your prayers, you are such a sweet lady. Going to see the doctor tomorrow and thinking positive. Again, thank you so much!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...