Saturday, 15 May 2021

The Hawthorn tree

 It's such a joy to see the May blossom out. The Hawthorn trees are full of creamy white flowers, in hedgerows and in gardens. We once had a pink version which was very pretty.


Did you know that it is supposed to bring bad luck to have the branches in the house? I didnt, until years ago I picked some to mix with lilac, and was told by my neighbour that it would be unlucky. I'm afraid i took little notice, and the vase of blossom looked beautiful!

I always thought, as a child, that the bright green leaves looked edible, though I dont think I tried them. They can be eaten and were sometimes called 'Bread and cheese'.
The blossom and the berries (Haws) can be used to make jellies.

On a hill overlooking Glastonbury there is a Thorn tree which is supposedly descended from the original Holy Thorn. Legend has it that Joseph of Arimathea came to the hill, thrust his staff into the earth, and a Thorn tree sprouted. Strangely this tree blooms twice , once in May and once at Christmas.

For me, it's just one of the loveliest signs of Spring, a hedge overflowing with abundant creamy blossom.

12 comments:

Deanna Rabe said...

How lovely!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Isn't it beautiful, we have some hanging over our fence. Yes, my mother was superstituous and said it was unlucky to have it in the house :) but, like you, I have picked it, it's too pretty to resist :)

ellen b. said...

A beautiful picture of Spring. So special.

The bike shed said...

The leaves are eaten by many caterpillars too. Caterpillars: there's an old fashioned word you don't hear so much these days. We have blackthorn and hawthorn hedges in the field near our house, at night the blossom attracts thousands of moths though most of us would never know it. I guess they are not blooming for us, eve though we might like to think so - certainly I do!

Angela said...

When I was Warden of an OAP home, 40 years ago, we had a beautiful lilac tree in the garden. I filled a jug with the blossoms for the entrance table, and was roundly told off by residents "Lilac in the house will mean a death" I said that this was superstitious twaddle [and why did Vera Lynn sing 'We'll gather lilacs in the Spring again" if they were unlucky?] and this home was a Christian foundation which did not hold with such nonsense. But I removed the jug of blossoms [to my own little flat] before they complained to my manager. Hawthorn and lilac blossoms are both beautiful, God's gifts to us in creation

Granny Marigold said...

What a lovely tree all "dressed in white".

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Ooooo... your Hawthorne is gorgeous. We had to take down our two Hawthorne trees (a pink and a white one). I was heartbroken. But they were both sick and struggling, and the blooms were almost non-existent last spring. So I'm really enjoying yours, Barbara.

Happy day...
Brenda xo

elizabeth said...

Oh that is lovely. And that legend is beautiful; perhaps because it may just have some truth to it? I wonder if Elizabeth Goudge wrote of it, sounds right up her alley! I love her books! So poignant to bloom in May and at Christmas.... something special there! I wonder if the superstition happened, in this case, because of a dislike of the legend? funny how things are. But this story and the beauty of the tree give added dimension to my life and I thank you so much for them.

Alex said...

Oh it's so lovely, isn't it? Brings a special summery lift to the spirits. In East Anglia we are just a wee bit behind - but the little tight buds are beginning to open! I like Angela's story...and agree :)

Cheryl said...

I'd not pay any attention to the superstitions either. I'd just enjoy that glorious creation and the God who created it!

Jackie said...

What a gorgeous tree. The blossoms are beautiful.

God bless.

Laurel Wood said...

Magnificent blossoms. I do not pay attention to superstitions either. Mildred

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...