Saturday, 5 June 2021

A wander round the garden.

The poems of A A Milne, which my mother read to me, contained one that always made me a little sad.
It concerned Delphiniums (blue) and a dormouse.

'There was once a dormouse who lived in a bed
Of Delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red).
And all the day long he'd a wonderful view
Of Geraniums (red) and Delphiniums (blue)'

If you have read the poem, you will know that poor Dormouse was persuaded that a bed of crysanthemums yellow and white would be better for his health. So he put his paws over his eyes and imagined himself back in a world of Delphiniums (blue) and Geraniums (red)
It made me sad.

However, these Delphiniums (blue) make me very happy as they continue to come out.
There's even a bee happily foraging.


Here is the beautiful Alnwick rose fluffing up her petticoats. Her perfume isnt intense, but very gentle
 

Zephirine Drouhin is climbing up her obelisk, a highly perfumed rose. One stem in a room will give a wonderful scent.

And lastly, for now, gorgeous Darcey Bussell, a true ballerina.

Truly, the garden in June is a wonderful place, with flowers blooming almost overnight, colour popping up in the beds, scents of roses and lavenders mingling. Why would anyone want to be anywhere else?




16 comments:

Linda Baker said...

Such beautiful flowers and pictures! I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly..
Blessings, Linda

elizabeth said...

Those are so beautiful 🥰😍 I love the scent of roses! So special!!

Angela said...

How beautiful your garden is looking right now! How I wish we could visit again and sit there with a cup of tea. Like the dormouse, I shall just have to close my eyes and imagine.

Granny Marigold said...

I agree. Why would anyone want to be anywhere else in June!!
Years ago I went hunting for Delphiniums and found only white ones. I planted 3 close together and they grew and bloomed. This year only one clump appeared but what a lovely full plant it is.
Your old fashioned roses are the loveliest ones I know of. So beautiful.

Mrs. White said...

I enjoyed seeing the beautiful flowers in your garden. That quote, at the end of the post, about having a garden and a library, is lovely! Stay well!

Carolien said...

Very true and your garden looks wonderful!

Have a good week & love Carolien

Elderberry-Rob said...

How beautiful your garden is looking and I'm glad you are able to go out there a bit and enjoy it - hope health is good at the mo - Betty x

Jackie said...

Delphiniums are one of the most elegant of flowers to me. I love the blue colour.

Have a wonderful week.

God bless.

ellen b. said...

Such a beautiful flower those delphiniums. Your garden is has some lovely blooms! Hope your new week is good.

Cheryl said...

Truly, Barbara, there is nothing sad about your garden! So much loveliness!

Catherine said...

I love Delphiniums , so delicate.
I also have quite a lot of roses this year.

Anonymous said...

Barbara, what a sweet sad poem! Love A A Milne! Your flowers are delightful. We have a few delphiniums in our garden and now I shall think of the dormouse! xo

Anne Payne said...

I love everything about this post -- lovely flowers and beautiful verse! xx

Alex said...

Lovely! The first picture of your shed looks like a gorgeous photo from Country Living.

Laurel Wood said...

I have never grown delphiniums. They are outstanding. I love each picture. I can almost imagine the sweet scents. While recovering, I am enjoying books I purchased for a quarter at the local library.

Mary said...

I wish I could grow delphiniums here - too hot and humid I fear!
Your roses are beautiful - I can smell the perfume from here. . . . .almost!
That quote is wonderful - I have the garden and bookshelves, just not an entire library!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...