Friday, 25 June 2021

Carnation, Peony, Peony, Rose.

I couldn't resist  using, with a slight alteration, the title of John Singer Sargent's most famous paintings.

This dear little carnation is called Gran's Favourite, and I thought I had lost it till this week when all of a sudden it flowered beautifully.


Not having any Lillies in my garden, here is Peony, looking like a ballerina.


And here she is again, on almost her last day.
What a pleasure she has been.

Lastly, the Roses.
There are, I think, ten varieties in this vase, and the scent is so lovely.

Thank you so much for all the lovely comments on my bedroom. It is a joy for me to have a room that is calm and restful. There is still a bit to do, but it will happen, one day.

14 comments:

Mary said...

I've always loved Sargent's 'Carnation Lily, Lily, Rose' painted in the evening light over two summers in the beautiful English village of Broadway.......definitely one of my favorites and some day I hope to view the original! But of course I just never have time to do the London galleries and museums during my quick visits which saddens me always.
Your flowers are lovely Barbara and I'm sure that you, just like me, wish they would bloom for much longer. I think the fragrance of the roses must be wonderful in the house.
Here's to a lovely weekend around our gardens.
Hugs - Mary

Elderberry-Rob said...

how very beautiful she is - the heavy rains here smashed my roses quite a bit but they are budding again

Deanna Rabe said...

Your flowers are lovely! Nothing like peonies and roses! My hydrangea are in bloom and I am thrilled with that! So lovely.

Angela said...

I love that painting of the girls in their garden too too [who knows when I shall get back to Tate Britain again to see it] I am sure Dolly and Polly would love your flowers too. Your roses are so beautiful each year - thank you for sharing them

elizabeth said...

Oh that's so lovely 😍 flowers are such a gift and the fragrance of roses is heavenly 😍🌹🥰

Alex said...

Exquisite roses.

Granny Marigold said...

Your bouquet of Roses is wonderful. So many different varieties. The pink Peony is beautiful. Isn't it a shame that they don't bloom for longer?
The Carnation is a pretty one and I'm glad it made it through the winter.

Connie said...

First of all your bouquet is gorgeous and I'm sure the smell of it is heavenly. I love how you said "here is Peony, looking like a ballerina" that describes this flower perfectly. Oh, that their season were longer :)

ellen b. said...

Those carnations are so sweet! I bet the bouquet of roses has a wonderful aroma. The last of my peonies went into the trash from the vases today. We are moving into a dangerous heat wave here with temps predicted to reach a high 114 on Tuesday!!

mamasmercantile said...

The bouquet of roses is a real delight, such beauty.

Rambler said...

48 hours of non-stop heavy downpour have finished my lovely Peonies off; their water-logged heads, already heavy, are now hanging down to the ground and looking very sad.
Your roses are beautiful, you definitely have green fingers. The flowers that have withstood the rain battering are the self-seeded Moon Daisies, while all the plug plants that I carefully nurtured (and spent a small fortune on) have suffered badly.

Jackie said...

What a beautiful bouquet. I can just imagine how lovely the scent is.

God bless.

Phoebes World said...

Absolutely gorgeous... my dear mother loved Peonys..and had them around her garden so this brought back lovely memories.x

Laurel Wood said...

The photos of your lovely flowers make me smile. I can only imagine the joy they bring you. The scent must be heavenly. Thank you for sharing them with us. Have a blessed day, Mildred

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...