Sunday, 31 October 2021

Bits and pieces.

 This week our Dr came to our home to do the dreaded double vaccinations, Covid booster and flu. We are so very privileged to have a surgery that will do home visits. I asked him if having the two vaccinations together would have an unpleasant effect. He laughed merrily and said he hadn't heard of anyone having a bad reaction.

I have proven him wrong, as yesterday I was knocked out with what felt like a bad case of flu, shivers, pain, temperature, no good to anyone. Thankfully our daughter in law came to the rescue, and today I'm fine. My husband doesnt seem to react to these injections. I'm thankful that we can have them.

Today the sun is shining, palely, but trying hard. The garden looks wet and shaggy, and the last dahlias need cutting down. It's sad to see the leaves all over the lawn. Autumn could be a sad month if it wasnt for the little preparations for Spring that I'm making. 

Pots are full of Tulip bulbs, a collection of Tete a Tete daffodils is mixed with Grape hyacinths and a very low growing tulip. This is Tulip Hageri, which is about 6 ins tall and has a scent as well.



My Amaryllis is beginning to peek out. They  will all bring so much joy to see the first tiny shoots. Keep Spring in mind!

17 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

What a beautiful display of tulips. I had a reaction to the flu jab but of course it's so important to have it - glad you both have yours :)

Sandi said...

"He laughed merrily and said he hadn't heard of anyone having a bad reaction."

Really??

Elizabethd said...

Yes! He was economical with the truth!!

Mary said...

Hope things are better now. We were actually told to wait is week or two between #3 Covid booster and the hi-dose ‘flu shot - which we did. No problems thankfully and now feel safer.
Hugs as always - take care dear one xx

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Maybe that laugh was too merry?? Glad the reaction wasn't long lasting and that you are taking joy in your garden as you think ahead. Your pots look scrumptious!

Cheryl said...

So glad your reaction was short-lived! Your pot of flowers is totally charming!

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

My friend got the booster and the flu in one day like you and she got a fever and achy body parts.

Granny Marigold said...

Nice that your doctor makes house calls but not so nice that he didn't prepare you for a reaction since you were getting both jabs at once. I'm glad your symptoms didn't last too long.
Planting bulbs always takes the faith to believe that they'll grow and bloom next Spring.

ellen b. said...

Glad you are better and that your husband didn't have the same reaction. That pot of flowers looks so cheerful.

Lorrie said...

A doctor's merry laugh might be a warning sign! I'm glad you are recovering from the double jabs. How hopeful to plant bulbs in the autumn and anticipate them until spring. That pot of small tulips is so pretty!

Terri said...

I'm thankful you are feeling better! Don't you love when doctor's are vague? lol Love the flowers!

Jackie said...

I am so sorry you had such a reaction to the double shot. I am glad you feel better today.

God bless.

Carolien said...

Hello Barbara,

O dear, I hope you will feel better soon! Love the tulips, yes the Spring planting helps on rainy, dreary days.

Thank you so much for your lovely card! It's a bit hectic here, but you'll hear from me!

Have a good week & love Carolien

Rambler said...

I had the Booster and the Flu jab together and felt fine for a couple of days. But on the 3rd day I was so very cold, just couldn't get warm despite turning the heating right up and wrapping woollen blankets around my legs and my shoulders. I had cooked some dinner but one mouthful and I felt full, couldn't eat any more. Still shivering, teeth chattering, I went to bed, threw a thick blanket on top of the duvet and eventually warmed up enough to get some sleep. Next morning, although very tired, I was otherwise fine. I hope Malcolm was OK with his combined jabs?
My Sarah Raven tulip bulbs haven't arrived yet - must get in touch before it's too late to plant them.

Deanna Rabe said...

Now that it is November I’m going to be potting up my tulips! Can’t wait to see their beauty in the spring!

Pom Pom said...

Hi B! I am grateful that we've had mild weather. Soon the cold will come. I am so sorry your were sick. I'm glad it was quick.

Kezzie said...

Sorry to hear the double jabs got to you but glad you recovered. Your tulip display is a beautiful sight to remind us that Spring always comes. Eeek, I still haven't taken my Dahlias out of my planter, nor planted my Spring bulbs! Must do!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...