Monday, 11 October 2021

Still flowering

 There are few flowers in the garden now. A few brave roses, some Michaelmas daisies and bright pink Canna Lillies

But this Dahlia just goes on and on producing big shaggy flowers.


Called Labyrinth, she is a strong, tall plant and obviously loving these Autumnal days.


My grandfather was very fond of Dahlias and grew the good old Bishop of Llandaff, a very popular single red Dahlia. This is very different.

My pots are empty of Geraniums now, and ready for Bulb planting. This year it will be Tulips. Again.
I do love them.


13 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

Pleased to see you have been out in the garden :) dahlias are the most spectacular flowers and yours are a beautiful colour.

Carolien said...

Hello dear Barbara,

Your dahlias are beautiful! I hope you are doing well!

Love, Carolien

ellen b. said...

That is such a beautiful dahlia variety love the colors. Hope all is well in your corner!

Angela said...

Lovely dahlias - glad you can enjoy the garden

Granny Marigold said...

Your Dahlia is lovely. My Dahlias are in large pots and I've dragged them under cover ( protected from too much rain). We don't normally get a killing frost for another month or more so I want to keep enjoying them.

Cheryl said...

These dahlias are beautiful. It's so nice to have them blooming well into autumn!
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with tulips!

Deanna Rabe said...

This is a lovely Dahlia! I still have a few roses blooming! So surprising now that we are well into October, but I'm enjoying them. My zinnia are going strong too!

Sara said...

That is a beautiful dahlia. I love her exuberance! And that she is brightening up your autumn for you too. I hope all is going well with your recovery from surgery and with your husband. Blessings to you both, in great abundance!

Lorrie said...

Dahlias are such a joy in autumn. I thought mine were done when I woke up and saw frost on the roofs yesterday morning, but it didn't touch the garden. This week will be rainier, so a wee bit warmer overnight and I'm hopeful that some of the buds forming on the dahlias will open.
Pots of tulips are such a joy to anticipate through the winter.

Jackie said...

What a joyous flower. I am glad you are out in the garden.

God bless.

ann said...

The dahlia is spectacular! Love the color. We didn't ours planted this year.My patio cannas are done blooming now, but still lush with big green leaves. The weather has finally cooled down and soon we will have a killing frost. I'm ready.

Chris said...

Beautiful dahlias and still a lot of colours, lovely to have these warm Autumn days. We're planting spring bulbs this afternoon.

Rambler said...

I have treated myself to some Sarah Raven tulips this year. I steered away from the tall ones and the 'doubles' because some of mine were battered by the wind and rain last year.
Do you plant your tulips into the garden after a season in pots?
I hope you and Malcolm are keeping well; batten down the hatches and stay warm and cosy. xx

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...