My Advent Candle ring came out of storage this weekend. We bought it in London many years ago and it goes on year after year, a little worn, some bits missing, but still a part of Christmas.
We both have fond memories of another Advent wreath, in a little Austrian church near Salzburg. We were staying in the village of Kuchl over Christmas and walked through the snowy street to the Church a few days before the 25th, as we had seen that there was a service to light the last candle on the Advent wreath..
I don't think we have ever seen such a huge wreath, suspended from the ceiling of the church . Gradually it was lowered for the last candle to be lit and we realise the wreath was possibly about 4 feet across. I wish I had a photo of it, but found a slightly similar image here (courtesy of Shutterstock).
Neither of us speak a great deal of German, but we could pick up enough to understand the familiar story.
The time we spent in Austria will remain as one of the most 'real' Christmases we have experienced. No tinsel, no shops heaving with 'must haves', no loud advertising. Just the simplicity of beautiful music, a snowy village and a beautiful Christmas Eve service.
It was indeed a 'pause' in Advent.


12 comments:
Beautiful.
I think Austria is perhaps the most quintessentially christmassy place I can think of too - there is something about the architecture and the cobbled streets and the little shop windows in places like Innsbruck and Salzburg and Kitzbuhel that just shrieks Christmas
How lovely! I've chosen over the years to truly celebrate Christmas and not buy into all the "extra" hustle and bustle. I will host a party or two, but those bring joy not stress.
Such a touching story, especially lovely to hear of your Austrian Christmas long ago. . . . . which did sound perfect. Mark (above) hit the nail on the head with his description! Commercialization has made this precious holiday season really little more than a money-making couple of months for traders! But, in the hearts of us who remember and believe, the old ways are still with us and we know we are the lucky ones!
Barbara dear, hope you are both well and that Christmas this year will be a lovely one in Cornwall.
Hugs - Mary & Bob
A lovely snowy village is a wonderful image. Thank you for sharing that experience
That must have been thrilling to see the large advent wreath. How refreshing that there was little commercialization in the small village in Austria!
You have brought back such memories - when I was 10 we spent Christmas skiing in Austria, mu first time skiing ever. There was almost no 'Christmas' but we did have a little Christmas tree with real white candles on it, given to by us by Austrian friends who came skiing with us. Christmas was just a special, quiet religious festival, with all the fireworks and celebration and partying at New Year's Eve, when we watched all the ski instructors skiing down the mountain in a line, carrying lighted torches.
Thank you for bringing back the memories
When I look back on Christmasses of the past, it's always the gathering together of people with laughter and feasting, and the quiet nights before and after that come to mind. Truly, all the commercial aspects are not meaningful nor remembered. Your Austrian Christmas sounds so lovely - a beautiful memory, and as you've said, truly a pause.
Thank you for sharing those lovely memories. We also got our very old Advent wreath out yesterday and lit the first candle.
Beautiful memories. I would like a more simplistic Christmas this year, I think everyone is going all out for bling though - our streets already have Christmas lights on in the windows and of course the trees are selling like hotcakes.
Sounds like a wonderful way to enjoy the Christmas season. A very precious memory. We are heavy into decorating here now that Thanksgiving weekend is behind us.
Have a good and quiet, expectant Advent time, dear friends!
Post a Comment