Saturday, 15 January 2022

Amaryllis

 This little beauty went on to have three flowers altogether on the same stem. I didnt take a photo at the time.


I have cut the flowers off but left the stem, and I think that another stem is growing from the bulb. You never quite know what these lovelies are going to do.




Many of us seem to be writing about our Amaryllis at the moment. Lorrie has a beautiful bloom climbing her stairs! Granny Marigold showed us some different colours recently, and Mary always has lovely examples.

I'd welcome tips about keeping them till next year. Some say cut down, some not. Some say feed now, some say feed later. Do tell me what your advice for success is, please.

11 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful colors

For folks allergic to amaryllis, a wet paper towel to remove pollen source helps.

Cheryl said...

I know nothing about tending to amaryllis . . . but I do know that your flower is beautiful and cheering! (I also love your buffalo check shade behind it!)

Angela said...

What a lovely flower!

Elderberry-Rob said...

isnt nature astounding, your amarylis has the most beautful colours and pattern. mine is just opening her first flower today.

ellen b. said...

A very pretty variety. I did see Lorrie's today. Can't offer you any tips as I'm not blessed with the green thumb. Hope all is well in your corner.

Lorrie said...

I'm very much enjoying seeing everyone's amaryllis - they are so different, and all beautiful. Mary wrote some great tips for keeping amaryllis a year or two ago, and I'm going to search for those posts. I'd like to keep this one and see it bloom again next year.
Yours looks like a double variety, and is so pretty with the stripes.

Granny Marigold said...

Beautiful Amaryllis. A good friend has an Amaryllis that she treats like any other house plant. No forced dormancy etc..o I'm going to try that too. Right now I have 2 with fat buds and I'm looking forward to seeing those buds open.

Jackie said...

Such a beautiful bloom. Perhaps one of these years I will purchase an Amaryllis to try and grow.

God bless.

Ratana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Annie said...

What a wonderful flower !
To keep it till next year, I cut the stem, carry on to water it till mid September, and at the same time, during summer put the pot outside in a shady place. Then, I cut the leafs, stop watering, and put the pot at the bottom of the fridge, during two months. In November, I put the pot in a light place and start again the watering.
Around two months after (sometimes it works, sometime not...)the plant blooms, but is smaller than the last year, but it's always a great pleasure !
Sorry for my English, I'm French...

Terri said...

Oh wow! That is beautiful.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...