Friday, 15 July 2022

Sitting in the shade.

 Here in Cornwall we are all staying indoors. The heat is reaching extreme levels, with 40 degrees forecast this coming week.

I spend a little time, particularly in the early evening, on this little bench under the apple tree. Here there is dappled shade, and I'm  surrounded by my favourite rose, and a bed full of Cosmos and Snapdragons (Antirrhinum).

A pale lilac Clematis climbs lazily up the tree and every year seems to reach a higher branch.


The tissue paper rose petals of Pierre never cease to delight me. Most of my roses are suffering from the heat at the moment, with buds dropping and flowers falling.


A garden table outside the back door holds a colourful array of Pelargoniums and Petunias. They are a little joy every time I go out into the garden.

What is one to say about June, the time of perfect young summer, the fulfillment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

21 comments:

Carolien said...

Hello Barbara,

Your garden looks lovely! I hope the heat will be bearable. They predict it here the coming week, pffff! Shade and water, things like that. Have a blessed weekend!

Love Carolien

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara, we're coming down to Cornwall in two weeks time..hope the temp won't be as high by then! We've got the same prediction over here as well. Just one more week till the summerholls...fingers crossed for the youngest who's the only one in the fam that still has to go to school!
Your flowers are suberb as ever!!
Hugs,
Marlene

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh Barbara, I am sorry to hear about the extreme heat you are experiencing. We had similar heat wave happen last summer. Miss Peace Rose suffered terribly during that season. Like your Pierre (sad face). What did happen when it cooled down, I'm happy to report that she did recover and gave us many blooms late into the season. So I shall hope that for your lovely roses too.

Stay cool as much as possible. Brenda xo

Angela said...

Sitting in the cooler evening in your garden must be a lovely moment of peace and tranquility as you are surrounded by the beauty of the roses. Such moments restore our souls

Anonymous said...

Oh my...that is hot. We're experiencing the same thing here with no relief in sight. And we've had no rain for almost two months so everything is dead, dry dust that we haven't watered.

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are lovely. I hope the extreme temperatures don't last long. It's hard on plants...and people.

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

A very nice place to sit. It's hot here too, but then again, it's always hot and dry.

ellen b. said...

That's a lovely spot to be able to sit. Sorry you are having extreme heat. Glad you are taking care. The flowers are lovely. Happy weekend to you and I hope it cools down soon.

elizabeth said...

Beautiful! Hot temperatures are exhausting! Love and prayers for you and family 💐❤🙏

Sara said...

That is such a lovely shady corner! Your garden looks beautiful.

Alex said...

I will think of you sitting there in the evening, it's beautiful. Your garden still looks very green - well done! Take care next week ..

Lorrie said...

Dear Barbara,
What intense and unusual heat. That was our experience last summer, and this year we are cooler and wetter than normal. Such strange times. You painted a lovely word picture of your garden and where you sit in the shade. I hope you both fare well in the heat.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Connie said...

Your garden is lovely and that bench looks like a delightful place to spend some quality time in the shade staying cool.

Cheryl said...

You have the right approach to the heat, I think . . . taking some moments to enjoy your lovely garden in small, doable stretches. Delightful!

Hélène said...

Bonjour Elisabeth,

The spot with the bench is lovely is so refreshing. Here, my roses are burnt.

The same here in France : temperatures were at their high level yesterday in Britanny : 40°C never seen before in this region !
Here in the region of Paris, we are expecting 40°C too. We don't have an air conditioner so it's a bit complicated to sleep in overheated rooms but hey there's worse, that's what I tell myself!
Restez au frais et prenez soin de vous.
Hélène

Elizabethd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that my comment went in as anonymous. Just so you know that it was Granny Marigold.

Anonymous said...

My roses buds are falling on the ground because of the heat yesterday 40 degrees in the shade. I love Cornwall and have been there twice and I would love to visit again Mousehole, Polpero if I remember the name.
I love English gardens with mixed borders. Your place is a nice place to get cool.

Anonymous said...

I forgot! Catherine from France

Maribel said...

Good morning Eisabeth!
That is hot, we had 32 yesterday, in my part of Sweden, and today it will be 35. That is too much. I understand you enjoy the shade sitting in the bench, surrounded by all the beautiful flowers. Hope it will cool down soon.
Have a lovely day /Marika

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...