Red Admiral in all its glory.
I wonder if it felt camouflaged amongst the French marigolds?
I have often wondered about the name, so googled it, as you do, and found that it was once known as the 'Red Admirable'. So just a shorter version.
Her scientific name is Vanessa atalanta, which I think is rather pretty.
The marigolds, incidentally, have gone completely wild! I use them as companion planting for the tomatoes and never have any greenfly trouble
20 comments:
Well I’ve learnt something new about The Red Admiral. Just found your blog from Lorrie’s. B x
Vanessa atalanta....isn't that pretty! I didn't know that the admiral part was a shortened version of admirable. It definitely is admirable. Your Marigolds are amazing.
How beautiful 🥰😍🦋🌼
There's a 1950s film starring Kenneth More called "The Admirable Crichton" , which my parents were fond of. For years I thought he was an ADMIRAL and didn't understand why he was a butler! TV
Hi!
I usually see it in my garden, this year I haven´t seen a lot of butterflies.
It is very pretty and it matches the flowers in colour.
Have a nice day /Marika
Ce papillon est appelé "Vulcain" en français. Il se fait de plus en plus rare dans notre jardin. Belle journée !
Papillon Vulcain, that's interesting.
My marigolds are outstanding this year. I've never seen such big, bushy plants. Yours are beautiful as well and the butterfly is beautiful!
Beautiful!
Marigolds are a staple in our garden, too, as a deterrent to pests. We also have red admirals here, but seldom see them.
My purple Buddleia has had Red Admirals, Peacocks and a Painted Lady Butterfly this summer, as well as the more common whites. Two years ago my neighbour was over-zealous with a potent weedkiller on his side of the hedge which killed my older Buddleia as well as a lovely big Fuchsia, so I was pleased to see the present Buddleia spring up in a different part of my garden. I had words with the neighbour and showed him the dead plants, so hopefully there will be no repeats.
That lovely butterfly is perfectly camouflaged. I'm loving your marigolds gone wild - they are favourites in our garden. And I've heard they are great for keeping off the greenflies. Although we don't seem to have that issue around here, not that I've noticed.
Pretty bed of marigolds graced by that butterfly! I keep thinking I should sit out in the garden and try to capture some butterfly photos. It's a little too hot for my liking to do that, though. Hope your week is going well.
how lovely I prefer the original name red admirable :) your marigolds are beautiful and I will be interested in any companion planting tips as intend to do likewise :) Betty
Beautiful butterfly and so well camoflagued!
Those marigolds are lovely, as is the butterfly!
Such a vivid palette of striking warm hues, the butterfly with the marigolds and the tomatoes together! Marigolds are brilliant, aren't they? The 'pot', type are edible in salads, not that I have time to go to that trouble at the moment and I'm sure you don't either! Bet your tomatoes are tasty though.
Keep snatching your small moments dear Barbara... x
Nice rare butterflies now! I used to see many In my childhood .
The Red Admiral seems to be enjoying your marigolds. A lovely riot of bright colours both flowers and wildlife x
Gorgeous butterfly. Love how it is almost invisible among the marigolds.
God bless.
Post a Comment